Author Topic: Lake Sonoma 9/23/17  (Read 377 times)

dnsmiley

• Observer
    • View Profile
Lake Sonoma 9/23/17
« on: September 25, 2017, 05:40:53 AM »
I observed at Lake Sonoma Lone Rock parking lot on Saturday 9/23. Conditions were much better than the previous week, with good transparency and a well defined Milky Way. A three day old crescent moon was not too obtrusive. There were about 5 or 6 observers including one imager. I set up my C8 next to my friends Ray's 18". I went through a list of globulars and galaxies, including NGC 6723 and attending nebulosity on the Sag/Corona Australis border which made a nice field. I also think I managed Barnard's Galaxy, as I found the Little Gem planetary, then eased south and a bit east to a milky patch elongated north/south. It was faint, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ray had Jones 1, an interesting planetary in Pegasus which showed nicely in an Orion UHC filter. I enjoyed edge-on galaxy NGC 6207 near M13 tonight, which I couldn't see in the haze last week. Through the 18", the "propeller" in M13 was clear but we couldn't see IC 4617, the other galaxy between M13 and NGC 6207, although I have seen it in a 25".

NGC 6939 and 6946, the open cluster and Fireworks galaxy pair in Cepheus, had me literally on my knees trying to look through the finder on my C8. I need a RACI finder for these northern objects! Finally got it, the galaxy big but amorphous, no sign of arms, the cluster very rich and reminding me of M11. In the 18" we did see indications of the spiral arms.

M55, M2, NGC 7814 and then M71 with its interesting shape reminding me of a tropical fish swimming through a sea of stars. Continuing the aquatic theme I went up to the nose of the dolphin, Gamma Delphini, ending the night on that beautiful double. A good night!

SonomaCyclist

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Lake Sonoma 9/23/17
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »
Great report. How often do you get up to Lake Sonoma? And were there many non-astronomers (I'm thinking "light pollution")?

dnsmiley

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Lake Sonoma 9/23/17
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 03:36:03 PM »
This was only my third time, I gather this site has been used for quite some time. There is a road that goes by the lot so there are headlights that can be a problem. Sometimes people do drive into the lot, but last Saturday night no one except observers did so not a problem. It's a big lot which helps.