Author Topic: Cell Phone Supplier Choices  (Read 427 times)

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Supplier Choices
« on: September 12, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
It's time for me to review my cell phone supplier choice as I'm shopping for a new cell phone.  I've been using AT&Tas a supplier the past five years with poor results (no voice connection) from our more remote observing sites.  Could some of you chime in regarding how well your cell phone voice connections are working from locations such as: GSSP (Adin, CA), CalStar (Lake San Antonio, CA), Panoche (Mercy Hot Springs, CA)?

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Supplier Choices
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:22:35 PM »
Verizon works fairly well at GSSP.  I've not been to Whisper Canyon yet, or to Panoche, but in general, I've found Verizon provides about the best fringe reception in rural areas of any provider in that my phone often is getting a usable signal when everyone else is dead.

Sadly, rural connections in general took a turn for the worst when they shut down AMPS (analog) service a few years back.  I used to carry a 3-mode flip phone (also on Verizon) which would work from wilderness hilltops as long as they had a view of a tower many miles away.

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:37:37 AM »
CalStar (old site) was iffy with Verizon but could work for text because as you walk around you hit a sweet spot and a message could get to you OR search around OR climb up the hill.   I don't recall on Whisper Canyon so will let others chime in, I sort of recall it was ok there last year on Verizon but not for sure on this memory.  At DARC which I think is your question I get nothing for Verizon. You can get cell coverage near I 5 around 8-12 miles away.   But a really nice upgrade to network was done there recently as long as it is up at the time in question.  You 'may' get reception at the damn between Mercy Springs and I 5 I had been told by somebody else.  I have been really tempted to get rental satellite phone sometimes but its not cheap and these days to rent a sat phone MUST get you on some kind of terrorist list I should think.  LOL
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:58:55 AM »
It's funny that both Verizon and AT&T on their cell coverage maps show voice & text coverage at both CalStar sites and GSSP in Adin.

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
Whisper canyon had good cell coverage for ATT in 2016.  I didn't test data speed available, but I do remember posting messages and photos on Facebook via my phone. 

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
Both years, AT&T worked for phone, texts and simple web access, just fine. At Lake San Antonio, to get a cell signal with AT&T, I had to go over to the visitor center and bask in their signal.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>