Author Topic: Congrats Mark McCarthy!  (Read 782 times)

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
Congrats Mark McCarthy!
« on: August 26, 2017, 07:07:20 PM »
In the September Astronomical League "Reflector", Mark McCarthy is awarded two achievements. One for completing the Herschel II Observing Program as the No. 101 award AND for completing the Planetary Nebula Observing Program and as No. 70.  Congrats Mark!

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
Re: Congrats Mark McCarthy!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:10:14 AM »
Yes congrats Mark McCarthy!   
Both the H II and the PN are extremely involved projects.   
The PN club is particularly involved in that it is IMHO the most demanding of for requirements.
One has to document multiple eyepieces, make drawings for EACH PN that is done. 

Marko
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:59:37 AM by Marko »
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

mccarthymark

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • observing blog
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »
Thanks for the recognition!  This explains the number of Herschels and PNs in my ORs over the last couple of years.  I admit to having list fatigue toward the end, but will probably pick up another AL list soon -- they're great as a learning tool for beginners and helped me become a better observer.
Mark

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
I have always backed away from the PN list because of it's almost 'You must be a scientist' set of requirements.

Well done to stick to that regimented AL achievement.   The PN list is quite an accomplishment.  well done!
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »
I am 3/4's through the Astronomical League's Planetary Nebula list observing all, objects in the advanced visual mode and manually detected.  I will observe all 110 PN's with narrow-band filter use notes and fine drawings of each. Maybe I can complete this list by the end of this winter.

Last Thursday night from the FPOA pads one PN target from the list was the challenge object: IRAS 180-3211 in Sagittarius.  Its common name is "Gomez's Hamburger", a proto-planetary of 5 arc-sec diameter and magnitude 14.4.  It's was a tiny adverted fuzzy spot through my 16" Dob after knowing exactly where to look from a printed DSS image and staying with it for 5-10 minutes.  I was using 480X. It appeared intermittant to my eyes (50%).  The PN was on the meridian and the sky was at NELM 6.3 with below 1 arc-sec seeing, a very good condition for the object in low lying Sagittarius. What were your observational results of this planetary?

mccarthymark

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • observing blog
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
That's odd, Peter.  I don't find that object on any of their lists (https://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/planetarynebula/planetneb1.html scroll down for file links). 

Maybe it was taken off the list at some point?

Maybe rules changed too?  I did all 110 of the standard list and all 26 of the alternate list (though only the 110 are required, the alt is if your latitude is too far north for all of the standard list).  I only submitted my visual descriptions, no sketches (though I did make awful field scribbles in my notebooks).

There are some real toughies in the alt list:

EGB 1: Rather large but extremely faint glow, no central star, seen with OIII & averted vision only; difficult

HDW 3 (HaWe 4): Impossible to see without OIII.  Higher magnification is too narrow a FOV, 205x worked best.  Large and irregularly shaped, excessively faint, diffuse / ragged edge.  Many faint stars in field, not certain which is CS.

PuWe 1: Purgathofer & Weinberger / 1980 discovery PN in Cam: Excessively faint, -- seen only as a gray scale change, a brighter dark than the dark sky.  UHC works, OIII too.  Irregularly round, very large, with mottling.  @ 87x.
Mark

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 07:58:02 AM »
I now see that the four challenge objects in my 2006 publication: CRL 2688 "Cygnus Egg" in Cygnus, IRAS 18059-3211 "Gomez Hamburger" in Sagittarius, IRAS 09371+1212 "Frosty Leo" in Leo, and M1-92 Minkowski's Footprint" in Cygnus have been replaced with a longer list of objects in the Alternative List at the AL/Planetary Objects link.  I'll attempt those with my 16" Dob after I complete the 110 object standard list + the four challenge objects from my 2006 book.  The book I have, the same one currently selling at AL, is from 2006 and has only these four challenge objects outside of the 110.  You might be interested in doing these four also.  Try "Gomez" with your 20" Dob before Sagittarius disappears later this fall!

mccarthymark

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • observing blog
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
I hope the list change doesn't put you behind your goal; though I would think the AL would accept your observations regardless -- especially for such challenging objects!  I will definitely be giving Gomez's Hamburger a try at CalStar, thanks for the tip!
Mark

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
The PN list is the same, AL says.  I'll continue unperturbed.  I didn't realize the newer planetary nebula "Alternative List" on the AL website which has added challenge objects.  I'll try those after I finish the standard 120 objects + 4 challenge objects from the 2006 manual I have.