Author Topic: Eclipse 2017: Planets in a row for eclipse  (Read 313 times)

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
Eclipse 2017: Planets in a row for eclipse
« on: August 20, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
Just a reminder to those that do get to a location with totality.   There is one quick observation of 5 points of interest on a near line in totality.   The sun/moon will be next to Regulus and then below and to the left will be Mercury at lower left of this long line going up and to the right.  Mercury is always a lousy view as we see crescent only and super low.  Tomorrow is a time where it will be a sphere but only mag 3.8 but there is little time to really view it so just bino spot it fast.   if anyone is lucky enough to notice and it is really tiny but same brightness as the star 47 Leo at mag 3.8 that will be around 5 deg above Mercury (relative to horizon)    Anyway, besides that we have Mars at bright 1.7 or so and up and to the right 45 deg of sun/moon/Regulus also by about 10 deg.  As if not enough, continue on about 12 deg to beehive about on this same line which is a naked eye huge open cluster, M44. Finally  Venus 15 degrees farther which will be the brightest thing besides sun on this long line.
Clear Skies,   
Marko on 'The Oregon Eclipse Trail'
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse 2017: Planets in a row for eclipse
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 06:34:22 AM »
That's thoughtful, Marko. I'll be looking!
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

zlanguy

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse 2017: Planets in a row for eclipse
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
Hi,

Nice tip.. but unfortunately.. I was so mesmerized, I mean just dumbstruck by what I was seeing through my cameras super zoom lens that I forgot everything else including whether my camera settings were correct for the occasion.  Luckily, some of the pictures did come out pretty good anyway. But I'm telling ya, I've seen pictures and youtubes, but seeing it through my own lens turned my mind to mush and I would have forgotten to look for Mercury or Venus anyway.

But thanks for putting that up there.  I hope it helped someone.
Michael