Author Topic: CalStar is 6 weeks away!  (Read 1202 times)

CharlieWicks

• Observer
    • View Profile
CalStar is 6 weeks away!
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
Greetings,

This is a reminder that CalStar is only 6 weeks away. There are still spaces left. Last year we sold out, so if you haven't registered and are planning to go, don't wait until the last minute.

Visit http://calstar.observers.org to register.

Clear Skies,

Charlie

vkathuria

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: CalStar is 6 weeks away!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »
I will be driving in an electric vehicle. Would it be ok for me to use the pole barn for charging it? (I can use a regular outlet for charging)

Also, do RV sites have electrical hook ups? If so, do they have a 50A or a 30A plug?

Thanks!

CharlieWicks

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 04:53:08 PM »
I'm sure that it would be okay to charge at the pole barn, assuming that you're not overloading that circuit. (I have no idea what that circuit handles). The RV sites have electrical, but I don't know if they're 30 or 50 amp. I also don't know if there are any RV spots left. I'll have to check with Richard Ozer if there are any available.

Charlie

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:12:41 AM »
I did a little reading about RV charging of Telsas.  you can program the tesla on its charge screen as to how many amps it will draw.    Do note, that RV "50A" circuits, using a NEMA 14-50 plug, are 2 legs of 120 == 240V total, and often ARENT actually 50A, more like 30 + 30 A... so you can safely pull 30A of 240V off them.    the 30A circuits, using an RV trailer specific "TT-30" plug, are 30A at 120V single phase.    The one picture I saw on the old whisper canyon site via the wayback machine showed what looked like a standard RV 'pedestal', this generally provides 3 outlets, a '50A', a 30A, and a standard dual 15A, each typically on its own breaker.   I would NOT expect to be able to pull full power from both the 50A and 30A simulataneously, so if the 50A is plugged into a big RV, and you're using the 30A to charge a tesla, make sure the RV is NOT running its air conditioner.    if the Telsa will show the voltage input on its screen, then I'd ramp up the current til the voltage starts to drop, then back it down a few ticks.

RV park wiring is frequently very funky and should be treated with suspicion.   For my little camp trailer, I'm getting a 30A surge protector/monitor that will warn me if the outlet is mis wired, show me the actual voltage, AND the actual current usage.

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
What's the potable water situation at Whisper Canyon? 

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
That one I can answer, Stephen. Good water, tastes good. They have a generous well and a well-designed system.

Showers, flush toilets as well. Luuuuxury.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 01:32:02 PM »
I remember the showers and kitchen area, couldn't remember if the water was safe.

Not having to pack water is a real weight-saver!

SonomaCyclist

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »
Charlie,

Thanks for putting this together! I was able to attend 3 of the 4 nights, and this was my first star party. I'm already looking forward to next year's CalStar!

And many thanks to Randy for the registration, hospitality, and bike ride.

Clear skys (and no dew),

- Larry