Author Topic: First time Lake Sonoma 7/24/17  (Read 213 times)

dnsmiley

• Observer
    • View Profile
First time Lake Sonoma 7/24/17
« on: July 25, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »
Last night 7/24/17 I observed for the first time at Lake Sonoma, Lone Rock parking lot. A friend, also from SFAA, joined so we had two C8s plus a new Televue TV76. I enjoyed the site, much darker than Mt. Tam, Milky Way well visible and good horizons. Scorpius sprawled in the south, we could easily see under the tail. M22 was very nice in the Ethos 13mm, M51 showed spiral detail, I finally split Izar after having trouble with the seeing at my house in Mill Valley.
But the most fun was scanning the Milky Way with the TV76, a 24mm Panoptic gave a beautiful 3.2 degree field, the Lagoon and Trifid were set in a sparkling field, Antares and M4 likewise, the Swan Nebula stunning and swimming in star fields. No faint fuzzies hunting this night, unless you count the endless knots of luminosity in Sagittarius and Cygnus.
We had some dew starting around 11 pm and a handful of headlights. A fast colorful meteor from the zenith towards Polaris marked the end of my session around midnight. Hope to return often here!

sgottlieb

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: First time Lake Sonoma 7/24/17
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »
Glad to hear you had a good time at Lake Sonoma.  I've observed there on 150 nights and feel the skies are surprisingly good (generally SQM 21.3-21.45) -- particularly to the west of the meridian -- for so close to the bay area.