Author Topic: Two Very Different Nights At Lick Observatory  (Read 225 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Two Very Different Nights At Lick Observatory
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:50:25 AM »
I had a terrific time at Lick Observatory over the weekend. Friday night we had very clear steady skies and a great lineup of telescopes.  Eric Z. was showing Jupiter in daylight to the early arrivers in his AP 155.  Al Howard had an identical scope, Kurt Kuhlman brought a C14 Fastar, I had my 18" Obsession, and a relative beginner and his son who had just attended GSSP a 10-inch SCT. As the sky darkened Saturn was rock steady and commanded views in most telescopes. I showed it briefly and moved on to some interesting double stars, settling on Albireo (which voice recognition wants to call El Burrito), explaining the idea of binary stars and what the colors mean to the public.  After some time people moved on to the big globular clusters and in a few cases M51. I eventually began showing the Neil Nebula, Witches Broom section, which with an OIII filter glowed as a subtle neon blue-gray tube extending away from 52 Cygni, which I kept at the edge of the field of you as a reference point to describe the object and help first-timers see it. It was really a fine night with shirt sleeve conditions all night. I spent the night in the Rec Hall as I was staying for Saturday as well.

Saturday was hot and cloudy, not a good combination. I set up my telescope after watching the others who had arrived do the same. Eric was back, as was Marek Cichanski (voice recognition kitchen ski), who brought his 18' Obsession once owned by Michelle Stone, who sold it to me, for my daughter Mimi to use, eventually selling it to Marek. I didn't look through my telescope once Saturday night due to conditions. But the company was great! We also were treated to a spectacular sunset as well as seeing some very unusual mammatus clouds over the observatory. Here are photos of both the clouds and tremendous sunset. The photo is from Rick Baldridge, whose shot turned out better than mine. I sat outside the observatory doors which were open to keep things cool and listened to the Grammy award-winning duo of Tingstad and Rumbel, guitarist and wind instrument players.  I loved the tune Chaco (http://us.napster.com/artist/eric-tingstad/album/badlands/track/chaco), hearing the alto and tenor clarinet, and sweet potato.  Great setting for a concert.

All in all volunteering at Lick Observatory is a fun way to spend a weekend. I did it last month and I'll spend two nights there again in August.

Next up will be a Wednesday trip to Montebello for observing then to the Pinnacles on Saturday for some Dark Skies. Hope to see other observers out this week.

Clear skies,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:58:51 AM by Mark »