Author Topic: Observing at Montebello on Wed July 19  (Read 472 times)

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
Observing at Montebello on Wed July 19
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
There looks to be one of the largest crowds complete with a few special guest TACos  heading up to Montebello this Wed.
This just may be an epic get together for good old Montebello gravel crunchin astro fun

Thanks to Casey for his continued efforts in keeping Montebello Wed events going.  I am but a messenger to this board.

Montebello is not the darkest of sites but it certainly is quite convenient and wonderful for summer with the center of our galaxy due south in the darkest part of the Montebello skies.

There is an active TACo permit going on so you don't need to have any special clearance from the Open Space Preserve for this gathering.

Marko
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

Prana

Re: Observing at Montebello on Wed July 19
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »
There looks to be one of the largest crowds complete with a few special guest TACos  heading up to Montebello this Wed.
This just may be an epic get together for good old Montebello gravel crunchin astro fun

Thanks to Marco for announcing this week's Montebello here on TAC.  I'm in, either with my 10" or 18".

This site is an original TAC hangout, where beginners get to meet more experienced observers, check out equipment, and enjoy a night under darker suburban skies close to home.  Casey Fukuda has gathered the gang at Montebello Open Space Preserve (https://www.openspace.org/preserves/monte-bello) ongoing for years now, and James Turley's been keeper of the flame (our group permit for Wednesday nights) for over 15 years - thanks to them both for keeping this a vibrant astro-site!

This event is highly recommended for any and all who are interested or curious.  Big globulars, great double stars, Summer Milky Way rising full of visual treats.  If we're lucky enough, fog will mute the bay area lights.

Bring warm clothes just in case, red flashlight or cover a regular flashlight with shopping bag paper (so you can see in the bathroom).  Arrive before dark as the parking lot gate will be closed once its dark (sunset 8:30).  We'll help people drive out when you want to leave.

I've returned to Montebello after an almost 8 year absence - can't wait - see you there!

Mark

Prana

Re: Observing at Montebello on Wed July 19
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »
All packed up and ready to go.

Forecast looks great.  There's about a 3% chance of precip in Palo Alto at 9 tonight, which I take to be low cloud/fog moving in low... so we may get some light extinction help.

My 10" CPT Dob is the choice for a close-to-home trip.  Hunting targets using the Tirion Sky Atlas 2000.  A few hours of fun mid-week is perfect.

See you there - noobs, come have a look, no need to bring a scope.  Or if you have one, join the party.

Mark