Author Topic: NGC/IC Project  (Read 1510 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
NGC/IC Project
« on: April 24, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »
The long running ngcicproject.org website almost was lost forever when the original website owner passed away.  We are in the process of pulling together the pieces and recreating it.

This forum section is for discussions related to the process of resurrecting and restoring this valuable astronomy resource, and ongoing maintenance once its back in place.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: NGC/IC Project
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:04:53 PM »
John, I've been wondering what happened to ngcicproject.org. Irreplaceable resource. Had written Gottlieb to ask about it, but he's been off in the Big Bend climbing ladders. What was weird, even the main google links dropped away.

Thanks for the update. Phew.
I'd certainly be able to pitch in with any scut work to put it back and keep the project online.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
version zero.zero.one: http://new.freescruz.com/~ngc-ic/

I got these from Arkash aka kstars, but he only had the NGC not the IC files.

randygmuller

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »
I'm available to help with this project.

Prana

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »
DNS is now updated, so we should have a publicly visible site, soon.

hgcjr

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Harold's Web Pages (galaxy catalogues, mostly)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
All the help we can find to get the NGC/IC Project site back on line is much appreciated!  I'm staying out of the web work altogether (take a look at my own web site to see the pitiful extent of my baby-HTML "knowledge":  HaroldCorwin.net) and will concentrate on getting the data files back in shape.  I'm always available via email, and I'll check in here frequently, too.  Thanks again to all who want to help!

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
so who's good with web scripting?      we need someone to take point on building a simple framework for the ngcicproject website.

the server is centos 6, can run php, perl, python, and I can probably setup most anything else, but I'd prefer any development is in something relatively mainstream and not new wave stuff like node.js or ruby, so I don't need to learn a new language to fix it.    I personally would prefer using a postgresql database, but I can manage mysql too.   I should be able to take the raw notes and munge them into database format, if you want to go that way, or just run with static .html files for each object, whatever.

you can probably pull a lot of the static text off here, https://web.archive.org/web/20170102050935/http://www.ngcicproject.org

I already have .htm files with images for the entire NGC catalog courtesy of Akarsh, and hope to cobble up a lookup page for that in the next day or so.

Prana

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
I suggest we cast a wider net for talent than exist here.  How about finding the thread on Cloudy Nights where NGC/IC has been being discussed, and ask there saying we have a home and a start on it already?

Mark

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
I'd prefer the people with server access all be locals known to us long timers, vs who knows who from cloudy nights.

Prana

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »

If we can get the help here, it would be much preferred for sure....

davidem27

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Volpetta.com
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 12:56:55 AM »
so who's good with web scripting?      we need someone to take point on building a simple framework for the ngcicproject website

Hello everybody,
my name is Davide Pistritto, astrofellow from Italy.
Surfing the web for some of my queries about DSOs, I saw that the epic ngcicproject was sadly down.

I am a web developer skilled in PHP, MySQL and frontend stuffs.
I would really like to get the epic website back to astrosurfers with my help.

Please let me know how can I do this.

Have a nice day and greeting to @sgottlieb
Dobson 16" f/4.5 - TeleVue Ethos and Nagler with Paracorr - 1000 Oaks filters on filterslide - Uranometria 2000.0, Triatlas B/C, Megastar