Author Topic: Old Time Fun At Montebello.  (Read 596 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Old Time Fun At Montebello.
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
A quick report on a gathering of TACos old and new last Wednesday at Montebello.

I ran into Casey Fukuda at Lick Observatory and he mentioned the gang getting together like old times, up at Montebello.  With my return to the South Bay imminent, I decided to join in at the first opportunity.  Although the drive seemed longer than I remembered, which makes sense as I began in Pacifica, the old place had a familiar look and feel, as well as faces.  Casey, James Turley, Rogelio Andreo, Dan Wright, Marek Cichanski, someone who's name always eludes me but looks something like Peter Natscher, and a newcomer named Praveet, maybe.

All kinds of goodies on tables for a communal feast, it was quite a throwback to how TAC used to operate.  These guys know what they're doing.

There was a nice waxing crescent moon up, Jupiter, and sone terrific double stars.  The Milky Way in Sagittarius was obvious, extending nicely through Cygnus.  Telescopes ranged, for this mostly social event, from a 4" Vixen to a 16" Albert Highe Dob, which was accompanied by a few of Albert's 12.5" creations.  I brought only a 10x42 binocular, with my scopes in storage and at friend's homes, but I had a great time popping Messier Globulars with ease.  Mostly enjoyed fine views of M5 and M13 in Dan's 16", then comparing M10 and M12 to see which was the better.  I had them both in one field in my binoculars.

Seeing had some scintillation, so the tight doubles were challenging, and seeing came and went on the Moon, but it was quite a treat to be out with this group.  I look forward to more, now that it's a much shorter drive.  Thanks to Casey and the gang for a fun time out.

Photo from Rogelio.

Clear skies, TACos.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:08:49 AM by Mark »

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Old Time Fun At Montebello.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
Oh those Montebellistas. And Dan's 16", I know that scope, it's Uncle Albert!
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:26:03 AM »
Hard to believe anyone looks like me.  We all have doubles, though.

Flash back to the 90's at Montebello: Where was Mike Shade and his fabulous potato gun?

Mark

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
True, about the doubles.  Mine is the ubiquitous south end of some northbound animal, apparently.

Shade used to come up to Montebello, but it was John Hales with the spud gun.  Used to aim it at the exhaust pipe on top of the outhouse from across the lot.  Hales is still the same.  Has an actual working canon at his place outside Phoenix.

The guy who I thought looked like you, Peter, is Philip Manela.