Author Topic: Peak 18 June, outreach night, good and dark  (Read 203 times)

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Peak 18 June, outreach night, good and dark
« on: June 28, 2017, 09:20:09 PM »
Sunday night the 18th was fun at the SW lot. Turned out to be primarily for outreach, in a good way. There were plenty of stars, around 6.0 LM thru most of the night, with seeing at least good, 4/5, occasionally going to excellent.

Just after sunset, the two other cars in the lot had their occupants amble down off the Peak, a couple and a family. They were all thrilled and intrigued to be looking at Saturn and Jupiter and their moons. Just can’t miss with Saturn.

The SW lot is good for genial visitors. Around 10, this young woman showed up, whom David the weekend ranger had sent along from the main lot, “Yeah, there’s this guy up there with a telescope, he seems very friendly.” The kid went to the high school where Jo taught for 23 years, knows several of Jo’s buddies. She stuck around till 1 am, was fascinated with the sky and got the cook’s tour.

Reminded me of when Stacy Jo McDermott started showing up. She mentioned all these guys on dark hilltops, way out of town, being polite and reliably respectful. That’s us TACos.

For the person with the telescope, Saturn showed off 5 and maybe 6 moons. Titan, Rhea, Dione, Tethys and Encedalus were all there. Hyperion was where it was charted on my little Saturn phone app, but there were other candidates also in the same area.

There were a bunch of meteors after 1 am in the east of Pegasus, along what was the bottom edge of the Great Square. Two were bright and head-on, one of those had a double flash. At least 7 bright brief ones. Don’t know of a meteor shower that was happening that night, but they sure showed a pattern.

It was warm all night, around 70F. A screech owl was making good music. Looked at 7331 and M31 and friends for dessert before packing up.
Wasn’t able to get out last weekend, so am very glad to have gotten out to the Peak last Sunday week. It was a fun dark night.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Peak 18 June, outreach night, good and dark
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
Rumors of the demise of Fremont Peak as a quality observing site continue to be greatly exaggerated. Yes I'm stealing Twain's line. Seeing is often startingly good. A middling night like this one last June new moon shows up a 6.0 limiting magnitude, heaps of stars, excellent detail on all kinds of objects. It's from the Peak that I've caught 4 of the highly valued little dim dwarfs in our Local Group - the Fornax Dwarf, Leo I, IC 10 and the famously elusive WLM.

Too fine a local resource to miss. As Joe Bob would say, DDK sez check it out.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>