Linked Events

• SCAC at Pinnacles: July 22, 2017

Author Topic: 2017-07-22 - Santa Cruz Astronomy Club at Pinnacles West  (Read 1099 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
2017-07-22 - Santa Cruz Astronomy Club at Pinnacles West
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:20:18 PM »
SCAC is planning on going to Pinnacles West on July 22 for a star party...   As usual, anyone else who wants to show up is welcome.   I believe the entrance gate auto-locks at 8pm, so be sure to arrive well before that... the gate will allow exiting at any time.    I'm not quite sure where we're going to setup, probably in the main parking lot near the Visitors Center.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:16:45 PM by John Pierce »

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Cruz Astronomy Club at Pinnacles West
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »
DDK will be there with bells on, and with a telescope!
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

Mark

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
I will be in the south bay instead of Pacifica, so am possibly interested in this trip.  Google Maps says its 1hr30m - 1h50m drive early Sunday which is much like like times for Willow Springs.  Is there an entrance fee coming in late afternoon/evening time frame, and are Santa Cruz folks staying till morning?

Thanks,

Mark

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 10:09:20 PM »
Hey Wags. The west side of the Pinnacles is 45 minutes from Salinas, so you can do your arithmetic from there. Sure you pay the national parks entrance fee. No one is figuring on staying till morning. But you know, the rangers there are very relaxed.

That night you could go to the SJAA starparty on the east side of the park off of hwy 25, only they won't let you bring a telescope. It's a thing, will take me still longer to get my head around that.

Mark

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 11:23:45 PM »
Thanks Jamie.  Time to get my senior pass.

That last paragraph is one of the weirder things I've read, but I've kept away from SJAA a long time now, so don't know what the thinking there is.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »
a) I thought about mentioning the senior pass, didn't know if you were that old yet. 10 bucks once, for a lifetime, what a deal. You just have to be 62. I got mine up at Lassen, the year I hit eligibility.

b) yeah weird, starparties where you're forbidden to bring telescopes. Once again we're reminded why TAC has a place in the universe.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:37:08 PM »
note those permanent senior passes go up to like $80 on august 1st.   my wife turns 63 on July 23rd, so we've got to figure out how to get somewhere where we can buy it within the next week.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-07-22 - Santa Cruz Astronomy Club at Pinnacles West
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »
Again, anyone is welcome to join us SCAC goobers on the wild west side, and bring a scope if they want, there's plenty of room.

Mark

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »
See you there.  Navarrete coming too.

mccarthymark

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • observing blog
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 04:52:50 PM »
As I recall the visitor's center has an outside light on all night, and it shines into the parking lot.  Suggest one of the club people ask the ranger if it can be turned off, or bring something to shield it.
Mark

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:23 AM »
No such light. There's a light in the bathroom that's motion-sensitive but goes out after a few minutes. Better to stay away from the bathroom anyway.