Author Topic: What the heck was that?  (Read 316 times)

mccarthymark

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • observing blog
What the heck was that?
« on: June 24, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »
At the risk of bringing ridicule and shame upon my head, I want to relate an observation I made last night while at Fremont Peak, because I can't figure out what it was.

I was using my 20-inch, around 2:30am, with Cygnus at zenith.  I was poking around the Cygnus Cloud observing a variety of objects, when I come to STF 2609.  Instead of the fairly close pairing I expected, I see two streaks of light, each maybe 10" long, each with bright small disks on the ends.  They looked like staples.  They were parallel to each other and N-S, one was a little dimmer and shorter than the other, and each had a dimming along the major axis between the points at the end.

I thought it was some kind of optical defect, but the streaks remained at all powers I tried (205x, 333x, 533x, 667x).  Other stars were points of light, even those of similar magnitudes.  I took a few minutes break and came back to it: the same.  Seeing was very good; just a few minutes before I made a clean split at 333x of B1289, which has a 0.7" separation.  Transparency was average; SQML was 21.2

STF 2609 is 6.69/7.64, 1.9", PA 21°.  I would say the streaks were of similar brightness, separation, and in the correct PA.  But why in the world would they be stretched out so?
Mark

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck was that?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:58:21 AM »
If only they'd moved, Mark. The staying-put part is the real head scratcher.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>