Author Topic: Triple double with Cor Caroli  (Read 491 times)

mccarthymark

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • observing blog
Triple double with Cor Caroli
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »
While hunting faint and close pairs with my 12.5-inch last night, I realized there is a "triple double" which includes Cor Caroli!  They're not all physically bound to each other, but it was a nice scene all the same.

Cor Caroli = STF 1692 is the well beloved Alpha Canum Venaticorum and was the start of my star hop for the list of pairs I prepared for the session.  About half a degree to the west was STF 1688, a faint pair (9.24/11.06, 14.4", 343°), yellow A and orangish B, which I identified using 340x.  Next on the list was STF 1702, which was about half a degree to the east of Cor Caroli.  It was a wide orange-yellow pair, 8.72/9.41, 36.1", 82°.

It struck me it might be possible to see all three in the same FOV, so I went down to 71x and 1.1° and yes, I could just squeeze all three in the view, the two fainter Struves just within the field stop on either side of the showpiece in the center.  It helped to have already seen STF 1688, since it was the faintest pair to pick out.

It's these little scenes which give me great satisfaction while observing.  Hope you have something new to look for when observing this old favorite.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:29:23 PM by mccarthymark »
Mark

sgottlieb

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Triple double with Cor Caroli
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:20:23 PM »
Cor Caroli was cleanly resolved at 25x using my 80mm finder and even 13x split the pair.  Here's another approach -- what's the lowest magnification to resolve this gorgeous duo?

-- Steve