Author Topic: homebrew green laser pointer finder  (Read 3496 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
homebrew green laser pointer finder
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:52:42 PM »
so my club recently acquired a pair of 25x100 oberwerk binoculars on this large substantial fork mount and tripod.     the binocular optics are awesome, but the finder scope was kind of wretched, with a narrow field of view.     decided to fix that :)

fits right in the bracket provided for the stock finderscope, hah!    the collar on the middle of the laser has a stepped channel on the inside that fits over the button and locks it down like a slide switch.      using 5/16" nylon bolts as the adjustments works really nicely, it holds the laser very firmly, yet adjusts easily.

my friend did the machining on his Bridgeport mill for me this afternoon, the tubes are ABS sched. 80 PVC pipe, and the rectangular base is made from a bit of scrap Delrin he had lying around, its machined to fit in the mount on the Oberwerks.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:18:45 PM by John Pierce »

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: homebrew green laser pointer finder
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:26:32 PM »
mounted on said 25x100 binocs...

blave

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »
My application for a laser w.r.t. astronomy was a bit different, but... for a while (until I had to sell my home) the HFL2000 served a purpose.

http://blave.smugmug.com/Photography/Astrophotography/HFL-2000/28469885_9szGNQ#!i=2412009149&k=TpFh5Md

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 08:02:20 PM »
hah, and here we are a couple years later.  not that long after building and posting this, I put a cheap orion red dot finder on the binos, and haven't used the GLP since.

I've been setting up the binos lower down, so you can view them from a drum stool (which travels with them).    this means the laser is below the height of a tall person.  this means its potentially unsafe, so its been retired.   too bad, nicely made piece of kit, it worked really well.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »
Phew that's a relief. Sometime over a beverage I'll have to relate to you the vast listadmin headache of GLP's. It crested in spring of 2002, yes. You Pierce were just a young sprout.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 02:33:42 PM »
oh, I remember all the hate over GLP's on TAC back then.     We (SCAC) use them selectively at public events to point out stuff