Author Topic: Observing This Week and Weekend?  (Read 371 times)

pnatscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
Observing This Week and Weekend?
« on: May 17, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
The skies have cleared and I'm planing to observe at a local dark site the next few days.  Initially I would like to get out Thursday and Saturday nights.  Anyone game for one of our choice locations?

pnatscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Observing This Week and Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:53:01 AM »
Yep, the forecast for tonight is very good so I'm heading up to FP for a night of observing, and if the weather holds then Saturday too.  Go lots of sketching to do in galaxy land.

pnatscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »
Thursday night At FP was enjoyable -- sketched galaxy groups and Hicksons of magnitude 14-15 in a NELM 6.2 clear sky, calm, 50% RH, 48-50°F, 1.2 arc-sec seeing.  I'm observing and sketching the Astronomical League's Galaxy Groups & Cluster list.  It's sure taking me longer to see and sketch these fainter objects with my 16" Dob. than it was with my past 24".  I'm getting aperture fever again   ;)  Higher power (350X) does help a lot if the seeing is good!

A new issue has cropped up -- there were bright flashing strobes (3 strobes) all night long from the KSBW transmitter tower high above, even casting a shadow around me.   >:(  I wonder how long this has been --  this wasn't happening a couple of months ago.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
That's a malfunction of those strobe lights, they're supposed to have masks drop at sundown. You can see them from Salinas when this happens. Doesn't usually last long. I'm pretty sure there's nothing we can do about it, though it does suck.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>