Author Topic: Action on Jupiter  (Read 1410 times)

sgottlieb

• Observer
    • View Profile
Action on Jupiter
« on: May 03, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »
With the moon now dominating the early evening skies, I've been doing a little Jupiter gazing in my driveway.  On Sunday night, Europa starting transiting the disk of Jupiter around 11:30 and last night (Tuesday) it was Io's turn.  It reached the limb around 10:00 PM and after 10:30, its shadow started marching across the face of Jupiter along the north equatorial belt.  This last sequence of events repeats next Tuesday, though a bit later.

mccarthymark

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • observing blog
Re: Action on Jupiter
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
Steve I saw last night's action too. At the same moment Io started its transit you should have also seen Europa reappear from behind the planet's shadow. It flared as a tiny point then grew to a full disk in about a minute. Way cool. I was able to watch  Io transit along the belt as a bright disk until a few minutes before its shadow looked like a nibble was taken out of Jupiter 's limb.

I've also been enjoying some high power 553 - 850x views of the moon's terminator. Getting ready for close doubles in Cancer tonight
Mark

sgottlieb

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Action on Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
I missed the reappearance of Europa as I started viewing after the beginning of Io's transit.  I've just kept my 24-inch set up in the driveway and mostly using an 8-inch off-axis mask for an unobstructed view.

On other recents nights (after returning home from 4 nights on the 48-inch), I've been tracking down doubles in Coma Berenices and Canes Venatici, and on Monday night helped put on a public star party for the physics students at Albany High