Author Topic: Using Astro Cameras on the Eclipse?  (Read 700 times)

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Using Astro Cameras on the Eclipse?
« on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:34 AM »
I'm covered with DSLRs for the eclipse, but I have these QSI cameras with their KAF 8300 chips sitting idle.

Is it worth considering putting a 200mm medium format lens on the QSI to shoot RGB/Narrowband during the eclipse?

Any thoughts about how to practice exposures?  Is the corona as bright as the full moon?

robhawley

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Rob Hawley's website
Re: Using Astro Cameras on the Eclipse?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
I would be skeptical about using an astro camera for the eclipse.  Your shutter speeds will be short.  Astro cameras are not typically designed with fast shutters (hence the discussing in flat fielding of minimum exposures).

As far as brightness you can get an idea from the table in mreclipse

http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
Thanks Rob!

I've decided to not even use my full-spectrum DSLR because the shutter on that one is broken and requires exposures of no less than .7 seconds to operate properly.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 01:28:34 AM »
I'm fairly convinced I'm going to forgo any complicated photography attempts in favor of just watching and enjoying the eclipse.    I've rigged a white light solar filter for some 40x100 binoculars that have a 2 degree field of view, I figure I can remove the filter for the 2 minutes of totality then replace it