Author Topic: Recommendation for local machine shop  (Read 2053 times)

jeffweiss9

• Observer
    • View Profile
Recommendation for local machine shop
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
Can anyone recommend a local machine shop they've used for working on small astro items?
I have an adapter (new focal reducer to existing filter wheel) that needs its threads re-machined to fit properly and would like to have that done locally.
Thanks.
-Jeff

jeffweiss9

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation for local machine shop
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
I found a guy who was terrific and very reasonable cost, who did my job this morning.
If you need work like that, ask for Lester to do your job at:

Lux Manufacturing
151 San Lazaro (near Wolfe & Kifer)
Sunnyvale, 94086
408-617-0635

He's really good and a very nice guy.
-Jeff

sraney

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »
Thanks! I've been looking to have a few items milled out for me.   I have to ask, do you have any images of the machined item? 

I found a guy who was terrific and very reasonable cost, who did my job this morning.
If you need work like that, ask for Lester to do your job at:

Lux Manufacturing
151 San Lazaro (near Wolfe & Kifer)
Sunnyvale, 94086
408-617-0635

He's really good and a very nice guy.
-Jeff
- Sraney
-----------------------------------------
1. break nothing but silence
2. take nothing but pictures
3. leave nothing but footprints
----------------------------------------

jeffweiss9

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »
Sure. I attach what I have. The adapter on the left is the APM adapter in question (the one on the right is a Precise Parts adapter for my W.O. Field Flattener on the same scope). This picture is the 'BEFORE".  All that Lester had done was to remachine the top threads on the APM adapter (machined in Germany to fit the Riccardi Focal Reducer/Field Flattener for my APM LZOS 130/780 f/6 APO) so they would fit the top plate of the FLI CFW2-7 filter wheel (which I also gave him).  It took a lot of intense work over 1 hour and I don't think it was an easy job.  There are only about 2 threads that go into the CFW2-7 and it has to be essentially perfect.  The AFTER picture would look very similar but without the black on the new threads.  It is now working perfectly (first light image posted in Image Gallery of Sh2-115).
-Jeff