Author Topic: Corrected NGC v0 online  (Read 613 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Corrected NGC v0 online
« on: April 26, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »
I've crudely organized the raw NGC html files I got from Akarsh in folders per 100, and put them up here, http://www.ngcicproject.org/NGC/  so at least there's SOMETHING here.

So who has the IC data?

sgottlieb

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Corrected NGC v0 online
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:13:02 PM »
I don't believe the NGC/IC Project site ever had labeled images of the IC objects -- or at best a very limited subset.  That said the basic data is available, along with Harold Corwin's identification notes and my visual notes on over 1000 IC objects.

I'll confer with Corwin as well as Akarsh on the easiest way to grab that data.

akarsh

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
Hello :)

I'm now here. I'll try and keep up with the discussion whenever I have time.

I want to emphasize that Steve and I were unable to recover images of Messier objects and certain bright planetary nebulae.

It would be nice (also for future use) to develop a software to automatically label objects in images. Most planetarium software do this, and at least in KStars, the code tries to avoid congestion of labels by using some sort of a repulsion between the labels.

Clear Skies
Akarsh

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:59:04 AM »
I think trying to implement Astrometry on the web server is a bit ambitious for now.   The current graphics are all static JPG files, and I think our initial goal should be to get back to the level of content that the old site had, all the background material and such.

hgcjr

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Harold's Web Pages (galaxy catalogues, mostly)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 05:49:13 PM »
Steve is right.  Bob only built images for the first 99 IC objects, though we do have good identifications, notes, and preliminary data for all 5386.  I hope we can get this back on line soon.