Author Topic: acquired a celestron ci700 (losmandy g11)  (Read 645 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
acquired a celestron ci700 (losmandy g11)
« on: March 23, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »
so I just acquired a rather nice CI700 equatorial mount, this was a celestron branded 'cheapened' version of the Losmandy G11...   its a beast.  has alt and dec slo-mo motors but no goto.

I initially was thinking of using it for unguided piggyback as I don't really have a suitable scope for it, but now I'm wondering if I couldn't rebuild my Coulter 10" F/4.5 ... use one of Mark's Astrogoods alloy tubes, a better focuser than I now have, shorten up the tube enough that I can achieve focus with my DSLR (the secondary on the coulter is huge).  I have already replaced the coulter's primary mirror cell with one of Mark's creations, and the secondary spider with a curved vane spider from 1800destiny. 

http://www.astrogoods.com/atmparts.shtml

am I nuts for thinking this is a good idea?   the mount is rated for 60 lbs of instruments, 100 lbs total.   Celestron sold it with  C11 and C14 telescopes on it :-O

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: acquired a celestron ci700 (losmandy g11)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
hmmm, said coulter has a 65mm (minor axis) secondary, so rough calculations suggest that with a 12" OD tube, plus focuser minimum height plus the 44mm flange distance of a EOS DSLR, I'd only get a 16mm diameter image circle before the image starts to darken significantly.    not good enough for an APS-C DSLR!! (which has a 28mm or so image circle)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: acquired a celestron ci700 (losmandy g11)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »
So this tripod doesn't have any sort of way to level it short of shims under the legs.   Asked my friend for advise, and he came up with this, courtesy of his 3D printer...

now if itw ill just stop raining :-p