Author Topic: Moon and Aldebaran  (Read 704 times)

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Moon and Aldebaran
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:30:03 PM »
Right now the Moon is in the clear overhead. That occultation is due not long after 7, far as I can discern. I do remember how very cool this looked last time we saw the Moon occult a bright star, both on disappearance and on coming back out.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Moon and Aldebaran
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
Man, that was cool. Do hope some of the good little TACos and TAQueritas caught that. You really get the idea that the Moon has no atmosphere. The very bright star goes from hanging right on the dark edge of the Moon, to poof it's gone.

Plus here there were clouds going right overhead, so thru the eyepiece, tendrils of cloud were flowing thru the view, while the Moon's edge was closing in on Aldebaran. It was like Buffy doing patrol in the cemetery.

Emergence will be soon after 8:20, I'm gonna be glued to the eyepiece.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:42:37 PM by DDK »

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:41:42 PM »
So there I was trustingly staring at the first quarter Moon in crappy seeing. Sure enough, this gem-like gleam shows along the edge of the Moon, a second later it had separation, with black in between. Showed right away in the 9x50 finder. Aldebaran is a very bright star.
That was fun.

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
Nice report.  Reminded me of the time I saw the moon occult the Pleiades back in 1992.