Author Topic: Solar Binocs!  (Read 362 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Solar Binocs!
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »

those are 100mm binoculars, with the 14mm eyepieces, they are 42X

thats V0.1 ...   the yellow frames were 3D printed and not quite dimensionally accurate, so I need to do some tweaking.  I have some felt strips I'm going to add to the top and bottom so they fit more securely.    The ThousandOaks solar film wrinkled a bit when I taped it down, so I need to lift the tape, and trim the edges just a bit, then tape it down again.   Finally, I want to cover in black gaffers tape to reduce glare from the yellow plastic.    I might move the solar film to the front when I trim it.

Jeffcrilly

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Binocs!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:29:54 AM »
If you use these in a "public" setting please make sure it is darn near impossible for someone (Eg curios kid) to "remove" the filter.   

I did a similar thing with my 9x63s - cardboard "cans" that slip over the objectives. 
For those I ran a string from the filters to between the eyepieces and cinched it down so there was no way the filters could be "accidentally" removed.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Binocs!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:53:30 AM »
oh yeah, I know all the precautions.     the felt tape I'm going to use should make them very snug.   plus  the business end is up in the air, so harder to reach...