Author Topic: Solar Eclipse  (Read 753 times)

SeanMcCauliff

• Observer
    • View Profile
Solar Eclipse
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
Seems like all the hotels and campgrounds are booked up in Oregon.  What are people doing for the eclipse?  Oregon Star Party?

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »
I'm going to the Oregon Solar Fest in Madras, along with several other Santa Cruz Astronomy Club members.   We made our campsite reservations nearly a year ago, several of us have full RV hookups, several more are tenting it.    2 minutes 2 seconds of totality at our campsite.

the Oregon Solar Fest still has lots of camping, both RV and tent, at 'Solar Town' which is a huge field just north of town, near the airport (which happens to house an awesome air museum with a large collection of flying WW-II warbirds).   They are going to offer 'glamping' too, which will be fancy large tents already setup with queen airbeds inside, everything you need, just show up, camp a couple nights, enjoy the eclipse, and leave, they'll break camp.   

https://www.oregonsolarfest.com/

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 12:39:53 AM »
I'll be visiting my brother inlaw in Tigard OR to then head down south a tad or south east depending on forcasts.
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »
my friends who are veteran eclipse chasers all say, expect massive traffic jams on the morning of, and even the night before, as the unprepared urban masses jockey for position.

zlanguy

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
I'm going with family and solar telescopes.  We will be there for the full 4 day solarfest in Madras and then do some sightseeing around Oregon, maybe Washington, and then head back south.. gonna be gone for 7 to 10 days I think.

Please say hello if you see me there.

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »
I'm going to the Oregon Solar Fest in Madras, along with several other Santa Cruz Astronomy Club members.   We made our campsite reservations nearly a year ago, several of us have full RV hookups, several more are tenting it.    2 minutes 2 seconds of totality at our campsite.

the Oregon Solar Fest still has lots of camping, both RV and tent, at 'Solar Town' which is a huge field just north of town, near the airport (which happens to house an awesome air museum with a large collection of flying WW-II warbirds).   They are going to offer 'glamping' too, which will be fancy large tents already setup with queen airbeds inside, everything you need, just show up, camp a couple nights, enjoy the eclipse, and leave, they'll break camp.   

https://www.oregonsolarfest.com/

I also am going to the Madras event.  Ordered my tickets a few weeks ago. 

I contacted the organizers and they say that the "Solar Town" location will have no nighttime lighting so it's good for stargazing, quiet hours from 11 pm to 7 am, and generators are OK.

I'll be doing my prius-powered setup like at GSSP/Calstar with some flexibility to dump imaging for visual as the conditions and crowds permit.