Author Topic: OR: Dino - Sat 28Jan2017  (Read 514 times)

thurtado

• Observer
    • View Profile
OR: Dino - Sat 28Jan2017
« on: January 30, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »
High levels of awesomeness and camaraderie at Dino this past Sat night! The sky was as good as I've ever seen it there. In fact it was good enough for a great view of B33 which was my challenge object for the night not having seen it for several years now for lack of opportunity on my part and sky conditions otherwise. An H-beta provided a clear view of the blackness within with well defined outline. The collective had the sky at ~6.3 LM so good 'n dark. Quite cold though - at 12:30am upon leaving the car said 35˚ at the top of the hill at Hwy 152. Good experience for my fiancé Lynn as well who was really impressed with the "sugar spilled on the table" winter Milky Way even though she nearly froze to death. Had the chance to meet up with some old friends as well: DDK, Joe Bob, George, Peter, Marko, and one fellow I had not met before whose name escapes me. (Did I miss someone?) Good crowd, good sky, good time!

At one point in the evening the conversation turned to remembering those days not too long ago when we had lot's o' scopes in that parking lot. Let's make that happen again real soon, people! TAC lives on the mountain tops! Watch for OI's in the near future.

-Tony

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
Re: OR: Dino - Sat 28Jan2017
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »
It was great to see you Tony!    When I first started getting serious in visual Tony was there with his 18" and alas it was STILL there at Dino.   Tony used 24mm to get that great horsehead view.    It seems that you have to sacrifice detail to get quality on that object.  I use in 18" as 17.4mm Delos for best view but should have poped in my 24mm Panoptic as I think that is the sweet spot for horsehead as Tony knew already.   

Yes it was a very fine night of TACo bonding and I certainly enjoyed it as a wonderful laid back and very shared set of views on the many scopes that were present  (about 6 or so).

Marko
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: OR: Dino - Sat 28Jan2017
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 11:07:46 PM »
There were 7 scopes there Saturday night, and 8 people. Tony got everyone but Dave Cooper who was on the far end of the row that night.

Thursday night there were 3 of us having a good time: George, Peter and myself. Good conditions that night as well. Peter Natscher got duly sworn in as a Dino Gatekeeper. George and I had a fun stereo shootout with our 13" Albert Highe design scopes, one George Feliz-made and one Albert Highe-made. George and Albert have spent a bunch of nights at that same spot with those same two telescopes. We compared views of the Flame Nebula; 2903, mondo galaxy in Leo; Hickson 44, the brightest Hickson cluster, also in Leo, on and on.

Saturday night I caught the Horsehead for the first time in my own scope. This again was with Johannes, 13" f/4.5 Albert Highe scope. Used a 24 Pan on the HH with an Ultrablock, for the sake of science. It was subtle. George loaned me his H-beta filter, which was already attached to his 24 ES eyepiece. The Horsehead jumped out, had the snout heading in the right direction too.

Tony's view of the Horsehead was as sharp as I've even seen it. Beautiful. And later, Peter was showing off Sirius B, the elusive Pup, in his 16. 100% direct vision. George and I had been looking earlier at 40 Eridani, with the only other white dwarf we see in our amateur scopes (endlessly fascinating triple, with a main sequence K-type star, a red dwarf and a white dwarf).

So yeah Dinosaur Point was good for serious fun this New Moon. Really good to see our old buddy Tony Hurtado. Figuring on inhabiting the place, if the weather is good, for February New Moon. By late March the winds will very likely have picked up in Pacheco Pass again.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:39:21 PM by DDK »
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>