Author Topic: Mt Lassen observing adventures, including yellow jackets, was Kuklewicz  (Read 654 times)

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Waited a bit to let someone else in on the yellow jacket question from Lassen - "Anyone remember the trip with all the Yellow Jackets?"

The reason the yellow jackets came out in force that one year, aside from it being their season, is that was the year we over-advertised the Lassen jaunt and filled up Lost Creek campground. There were many city people there who had no idea of camping - trash and food scattered around everywhere. Saw something unforgettable - one person hadn't liked their dinner, so dumped a potful of stew onto the drain rock under one of the water spigots. The yellow jackets went mad there.

Yes I cleaned that mess up; it might be just as well I never found out who was the culprit.
Under the genius label, that was the year I remembered everything else for a Lassen trip but my shoes. 2007.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Mt Lassen observing adventures, including yellow jackets, was Kuklewicz
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »
continuing adventures at Lassen -

TACos still inhabit Lassen National Park every summer. A set of Montebellistas stay in Mineral every year and observe at Bumpass Lot - Wright, Turley, Kingsley, Larson, Cichanski, Fukuda. And another TACo gang stay at Summit Lake pretty much every year, including Natscher, Cooper and Cooper, Johnston, Scholz and me sometimes. One year, on 6 August, 2013, with no advanced planning, there were 10 TACos observing at Bumpass Lot, plus two buddies of mine from Salinas.

The night after that, all the Summit Lake gang had run off for various reasons. I went to Devastated Area that night, got to see their cool astro ranger do an interpretive talk (for the 2nd time, over years!). The lot got quiet and empty fast. That night will stick in memory because I got to see Cas A, a supernova remnant that had always been regarded as a radio source, not to be seen in visible light. Gottlieb had passed out dares for that object, and Carter Scholz handed me his excellent finderchart. Our hobby really does advance over years.

Lassen is amazing for many reasons, beautiful day and night.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>