Author Topic: Fits In A Fit  (Read 1134 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Fits In A Fit
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
I hadn't thought to try this before.  My 10" Dob, mount, eyepiece case, observer's chair and roll up table, all in the back storage of my Honda Fit.  Close the hatchback and not a hint there's anything in the car.

Astonished!

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
Re: Fits In A Fit
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 03:48:56 PM »
This coming from a guy who routinely packs as much as an 18" dob and another person along for trips in his Fit ... I am not as impressed Mark.    the 18" and passenger WAS impressive but it had that 'sardine can' impression.
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

Mark

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »
Right.  I have gone to Grandview with the 18, as you know, camping for several days.  Ice chest, stove, tent, etc., and been able to see out of the rear window while driving.  But it was pretty tight quarters.

What impresses me about this setup, is it is all hidden from view, nothing in the front or back seats.  And, I'm starting to think my 10 is going to be my go-to scope.  The 18 has seen much of what there is to see.  Downsize for the challenge...

sgottlieb

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:34:04 PM »
Mark's adventures with his Honda Fit makes me nostalgic for my circa 1980 Civic CVCC. I used to drive it to Fremont Peak with my solid tube and beefy 13.1" Odyssey I as well as a C-8, tripod and of course all observing and camping paraphernalia.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:51:02 PM »
hah, and my new 17", with ladder, ramps, chair, and accessories just about fills the back of my Toyota Tacoma 4x4 ;-O

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 06:08:34 PM »
Well I suspect 'Bragin Rights' goes to Alvin Huey of faintfuzzies.com for his 22" f 4.0 in one of the modern VW bugs.

Alvin writes and makes available high quality observing guides on faintfuzzies.com by the way

Attached is pic of the 22" packed in the VW
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »
for sure thats a lot more compact than Alvin's old 30" Obsession, that required a Wells Cargo trailer towed behind a Chevy Suburban :)