Author Topic: Observing From Pinnacles National Park - West Entrance, On Winter Solstice  (Read 761 times)

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
I was able to observe for 4+ hours (7-11:30pm) from Pinnacles National Park - West Entrance main parking lot. It was my first visit to Pinnacles West and I concluded that it is a darker site than Fremont Peak with similar driving time of an hour from Monterey. I was using my 16" f/4.5 JP Astrocraft Dob and was observing with Jamie Dillon and Steve Winston.  The night turned out to be very nice for astronomy with pleasant winter conditions: no wind, very good seeing and transparency and slight dew on my paper maps that disappeared by 10pm. By 8:00pm, the temperature bottomed to 40°F and 72% RH but warmed to 45°F/65%RH by 10:30pm.  The SQM read 21.45 at 8pm. The winter Milky Way was sugary in appearance stretching from Cassiopeia overhead and southward through Orion and Canis Major. with dark zones very apparent.

With the favorable sky conditions, I was able to spot to the south the large and very faint galaxy IC 1613 in Cetus, (the dwarf member of the Local Galaxy Group); a beautiful pair of close galaxies NGC 1531/1532 in Eridanus at -32°DEC; NGC 1808 in Columba at -37°DEC, a striking long edge-on galaxy with sharp opposing halo ends and prominent elongated core; and a interesting pair of galaxies very unequal in size NGC 1888/1889 in Lepus.  My best showpiece object shared with visitors who arrived that night was the best open cluster in Auriga - M37.  This large cluster fills the low power eyepiece field of view with countless young bluish-white stars, and interestingly one orange star at its center.  I will definitely return to Pinnacles National Park - West Entrance again for observing, and for daytime hiking!http://smf.observers.org/Smileys/default/wink.gif
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 04:53:28 PM by Peter Natscher »

StacyJo

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Observing From Pinnacles National Park - West Entrance, On Winter Solstice
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:34:33 PM »
Am looking forward to seeing M37 again in the new telescope...your OR helps with planning a long weekend there to do so!

Thank you Peter,

Stacy

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »
What Peter says is true. Not surprisingly. We had a fun night, heaps of stars and as good a winter Milky Way as I can remember.

And hey Stacy Jo, ole buddy ole pal. Good to hear your virtual voice here and on tha Intros thread. Come observing with yer buddies, we're still around.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

StacyJo

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »
DDK,
That's a 10-4 buddy!  Working out schedule with da beloved...he tends to work on the weekends too, but I think we're getting to settling on first quarter moon weekend here soon.  He's quite keen on seeing some eye candy through the new 12".

Happy holidays to you and yours and everyone here on TAC.
Stacy