Author Topic: M31 Andromeda  (Read 1938 times)

jeffweiss9

• Observer
    • View Profile
M31 Andromeda
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:29:42 AM »
Here's a shot from last month of M31 Andromeda Galaxy.  It's a 5.2hr LRGB at f/4.5 with my new ML16200 camera using my APM-Riccardi 0.75x focal reducer / field flattener.   Full resolution at:

http://www.astrobin.com/full/269577/
or
https://www.flickr.com/photos/9906726@N08/29945445523/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

Clear skies,
Jeff

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:17:36 PM by jeffweiss9 »

Prana

Re: M31 Andromeda
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:57:40 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Love the image.  Really tremendous detail, aside from being simply beautiful visually.  Is there a way you can embed your images here, so they just show up in your post rather than needing to follow the link?  I think the immediacy of seeing it in your post would be great.

Linking on astrobin seems a problem: , I guess astrobin doesn't want images linked from outside - but it could always be uploaded an attachment here.

jeffweiss9

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »
Hi, Mark-
Thanks very much.  The attachments here are limited to 200kB which is a pretty harsh rendering but I added that as an attachment. I also added a link to flickr that might behave better for you.
Cheers,
Jeff

Prana

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »
I don't know why that restriction is so severe.  It seems like a vestige from way back in the SEDS days on TAC.  What is a reasonable size for images?  Maybe John would bump it up.  Really nice having the images right here, at least a decent sized one, then a link to the full size.  I think that would be great.  And, we shouldn't exactly be hurting for space on the new server we got a few years back.  Imaging is really producing some spectacular results now.  Hard to believe how far its come since I started in the hobby.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 11:49:26 PM »
ok, i had to move the attachments directory from the relatively small SSD to the relatively large raid mirror, and I bumped it to 8MB per post, and 2MB per attachment.  I also bumped the thumbnail size, so lets see how this works out.   

jeffweiss9

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 04:29:33 AM »
Thanks, John-
I put up a bigger version (actually just downloaded from the web since I'm on travel).  The link works if you click on the file name.
Cheers,
Jeff

jeffweiss9

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »
I just flipped the orientation from North-Up to North-Down for more aesthetic framing (1 year later).  I know there is no up or down in space but....the question arose:  Which edge of M31 is nearest to us, as a determination of the "correct" orientation?   After querying on CN, this North-Down orientation has M31's nearest edge at the bottom and in the apparent foreground (based on obscuration of the dust lanes in the far edge).  In this orientation, the rotation is CCW  (from another CN response).   I thought TACO's might be interested in that information (after some discussion on CN).
CS/Jeff

Kai

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 09:25:08 PM »
Jeff, this is very nice M31 !!!

-Kai

jeffweiss9

• Observer
    • View Profile