Author Topic: Several Decades Later ... Re-Watching Star Trek  (Read 756 times)

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
Several Decades Later ... Re-Watching Star Trek
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:18:26 AM »
Having quite a blast watching Star Trek from the pilot onwards after decades and after I know something of astronomy and engineering.

Have had my engineering schooling and fairly deep astronomy hobby and then a couple decades since I last watched Star Trek.    Am loving it big time.  It's a brand new perspective where only I and the times have changed but the shows remain as they were so long ago.

Too much to discuss but at a high level all sorts of pictures of astronomical objects grace the sets and a lot of discussion of astronomical object types and so on come up.  Last time through I knew nothing of these matters.

The episode where a civilization does all the war on computers is about 8 or 9 episodes in and that is described to be in 'Star Cluster Ngc321' at the very start.   Your homework is to determine what is wrong with that claim.

The 1st Khan episode comes up and earth history is often mentioned with things like 1990 having world war 3 and so on which is classic for future space shows and movies to so greatly miss how long it will really take to get to some level of space exploration and so on.    Think 2001 for example.  Won't happen for many decades if ever for example.

Loving it overall, a real treat

Marko
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Several Decades Later ... Re-Watching Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »
well, duh, NGC321 is a GALAXY not a cluster :)

as such it would likely would have billions of planets, with probably millions of civilizations in different states of development/decay.

heh, googling ngc321 popped up with this review of the episode you describe...
http://visiblesuns.blogspot.com/2013/06/star-trek-taste-of-armageddon.html

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
Re: Several Decades Later ... Re-Watching Star Trek
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »
John wins the prize ... whatever it may be.

I would have never 'sought out strange new worlds' in  Ngc321 had it not been for it being in a nice little group that in my observation from 11/22/2008 was logged.  It is a tiny mag 15.7 galaxy which places it at or near the limits of my 18" dob from a very dark site on a very nice night.  I called it the 'Ngc327 group' as I used to go through Uranometria and find groups then make a little chart from MegaStar/RealSky and use them on any given night as a project item.   

So I was a little surprised to see Star Trek call it a star cluster in that of all the bright and popular star clusters many in Messier class they pick some completely obscure NGC object that is not even a star cluster.  Of course most of the viewers would not care.     I think they knew about NGC and 'winged it' without even checking or transcribed what somebody told them to use incorrectly for the script.

It is one of the episodes that many people remember and as in so many others they totally go out of their way to violate the prime directive because  'Kirk Knows What Is Best For Any Given Civilization'.   Everybody knows that.  Right?
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.