Author Topic: Vote for the moon! A few targets for tomorrow night 11/9  (Read 773 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Vote for the moon! A few targets for tomorrow night 11/9
« on: November 08, 2016, 06:30:44 AM »
Wanted to put up a few moon targets I'll be looking at tomorrow night, that others might find interesting.  The waxing crescent Moon will be 8.67 days old, 74% illuminated, and 368,734 km distant. There are many good targets along the terminator. Two of my favorite areas are around Montes Carpatus, mixing mountains, the great crater Copernicus, and some wonderful small chains of craterlets. A terrific scenic area. Also check out the crater Longomontanus, which is in a heavily bombarded area, with its cratered walls and flat floor, and the big crater Clavius nearby showing its inner arced chain of five craters in descending diameters. Have a great time with these!

Mark

Courtesy Orion Telescope:
http://www.telescope.com/content.jsp?pageName=The-Night-Sky-Tonight.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 07:06:25 AM by Mark »

mpacker

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Birding Diving Astronomy
Re: Vote for the moon! A few targets for tomorrow night 11/9
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 06:37:07 PM »
Never underestimate moon lit shallows...

Mag -26.74
Packer

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »
do you guys perchance know of a moon viewing app on Android that projects shadows for the moon phases?   I have Lunar Map HD which is nice because it has very high resolution LRO imagery, as well as numerous other lunar maps, but they are all evenly lit....    Pet wish of mine is a moon app that uses a 3D model of the craters to generate synthetic lighting for an exact moon phase (changing minute by minute as the moon phase  changes).

mpacker

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Birding Diving Astronomy
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »
Hi John, do not know of one.
Reminds though that I wrote a HanDBase clickable Rukl for my Palm Pilot. Miss it. I use VLA predominately now.
Mag -26.74
Packer