Author Topic: Wheelbarrow Handles on a Dob ...  (Read 1061 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Wheelbarrow Handles on a Dob ...
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:45:19 PM »
so I recently bought Matt T's 17.5" Discovery truss scope...  main box is 75 lbs, quite a load to load in and out, and not easy at all to do a proper squat stand from ground level due to its size/shape.   Obvious solution is to add wheels and barrow handles, but it took me the better part of a week to cogitate different ways of doing this, and coming up with something simple enough that I could pull it off successfully, armed only with hand tools and a cordless drill ...

tuesday, I hit the hardware store during my lunch break, and got a couple wheels, a pair of wheelbarrow handles, and some hardware....   yesterday evening, I finished the build, using 3/8" t-nuts on the inside of the mirror box, and 3/8 x 3" bolts to secure the handles to the box.   I have some knobs coming that will snap onto the bolt heads so I won't need to use a wrench to run them in/out.

I have a pair of folding motorcycle ramps, put those on the back of my Tacoma 4x4 and I can run this up and down the ramps quite easily, and the 10" wheels easily run over terrain.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:50:24 PM by John Pierce »

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Wheelbarrow Handles on a Discovery Truss scope
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Here's the scope setup (and my truck in the background with the ramps still deployed)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Wheelbarrow Handles on a Discovery Truss scope
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:47:57 PM »
my Tacoma loaded.  eeek, not *that* much more room, I'm not sure I'll be able to pack the 40x100 bino telescope+tripod in the same load.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Wheelbarrow Handles on a Dob ...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »
Slick job, John. Like the color of the wheels too.
Felix my 11" was made by Discovery. You're gonna enjoy the quality of their optics.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »
yeah, the red wheels jumped out at me in the HW store, all the rest were black :)    I figured they'd be easier to see at night.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 02:39:13 PM »
knobs to hold the wheelbarrow handles on without needing tools!   a bit of JB Weld on the bolt head so the knobs are secure, also JB Welded the washer on so it won't fall off...