Author Topic: A thought about Calstar and GSSP  (Read 1993 times)

joelin02

• Observer
    • View Profile
A thought about Calstar and GSSP
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »
First, I wanted to thank all the organizers around Calstar for throwing up a fabulous event last weekend. I was quite amazed at the facilities at Whipser Canyon for a nominal registration fee. It definitely made everything more enjoyable.

I was mentally comparing GSSP and Calstar and the one thing that stood out for me was the drastic difference in the duration of astronomical darkness at these locations.

Using the June 21-25 dates for GSSP (2017), September 29 - October 2 dates for Calstar (2016) and the approximate locations for GSSP (Adin, CA) and Whipser Canyon campground, I came up with the following numbers for astronomical darkness:

GSSP in June:
10:49 PM - 3:23 AM, 4 hours 34 minutes of darkness
1 hour 11 minutes before midnight

Calstar in September:
8:13 PM - 5:33 AM, 9 hours 20 minutes of darkness
3 hours 47 minutes before midnight

Now the driving times to each location (without traffic) from San Jose:
GSSP: 5 hours 13 minutes each way
Calstar: 2 hours 13 minutes each way

Now GSSP runs 4 nights, but even with that extra night here is the amount of darkness per minute of driving time:
1.75 dark min / drive min at GSSP

For Calstar the ratio is better even though it runs 3 nights:
6.32 dark min / drive min at Calstar

So Calstar gets about 3.6x as many darkness minutes for your driving time. The ratio is a lot higher if you have a 1am or midnight bedtime instead of waiting for astronomical darkness to end. For a 1am bedtime, the ratio rises to 3.87X

So what are my thoughts from all this?
Well, if we reversed when Calstar and GSSP happened so Calstar was in June and GSSP in September, a couple things would happen:

1) You would roughly double your amount of darkness at GSSP in September ( 8:20 PM - 5:28 AM ) over June. This would double the darkness for your drive ratio for GSSP
2) Your total darkness from the June at Calstar + September at GSSP combo would also increase over the current setup. This is because you gain darkness in the Summer by heading south and the two locations are separated by about 6 degrees of latitude. GSSP in June has about 4 hrs 34 minutes of darkness while Calstar in June has 5 hrs 46 minutes, a whole hour longer.

Anyhow, these are just my 2 cents. I know the weather in Adin, CA is a bit more unstable in late September, but what do people think about the summer solstice timing of GSSP?

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: A thought about Calstar and GSSP
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:33:54 PM »
the biggest concern about moving GSSP to a later new moon is smoke from forest fires.

MattT

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:28:42 AM »
I'd love to see a big star party in our region in the Spring. Little chance of fire smoke, and galaxies!
-----
Matt Tarlach
Walnut Creek

jjjstc

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • jjjastronomy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 10:03:05 AM »
Brilliant idea!

CharlieWicks

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »
Stay tuned. We're exploring the idea of a spring star party and adding a night to CalStar.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 12:33:34 AM »
the june 2017 new moon is GSSP...

the May new moon is the Texas Star Party, which is a biggun, and draws people from both coasts...   so maybe the April new moon?   catch-22, thats on a Wednesday, April 26.   If we did the star party from thursday through saturday night, the last night a 13% moon wouldn't set until 11:45pm (sunset at 7:55, dark at 9:22), and predawn's first light is about 4:45 (sunset is at 6:14).

MattT

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 06:47:08 AM »
Moonrise on Thursday, 4.20.2017, is about 3am. Based on moon times I'd vote for that weekend, though local chance for Spring rain should also be factored in.

In 2017 Memorial Day is also a new moon weekend, so RTMC.

I'd like to help with any new event, if there's a committee forming up.

Matt T
-----
Matt Tarlach
Walnut Creek

CharlieWicks

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »
Anyone that would like to help with a spring CalStar or the Fall CalStar, please send me an email. It's more likely to happen if I get some help.
email me at:

charles.wicks at comcast dot net

Thanks,

Charlie