Author Topic: Whiisssper Canyon OK, update from the Potentate  (Read 1554 times)

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Whiisssper Canyon OK, update from the Potentate
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just got word from Jennifer at Whisper Canyon. The camp survived without damage although there is a lot of cleanup to do. A neighbor was able to take some pictures and send them to Larry and he posted them on the Whisper Canyon blog:

http://whispercanyon.blogspot.com

Charlie

(Reposting this and yes starting a fresh thread. Along with everything, very glad that Jennifer and Larry and their place are OK.)
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Whiisssper Canyon OK, update from the Potentate
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »
indeed, glad everyone is OK.

if it turns out we can't hold CalStar there this year, I'm all for donating my fees to them

Ivor

• Observer
    • View Profile

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 04:48:44 PM »
I swapped a couple emails with Larry the camp host, will be pitching in on cleanup. Larry said they have a lot of people ready to help.

Yes we will be having CalStar at Whiisssper Canyon. Can hold off on the gloom talk.

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 10:55:12 AM »
At this point in time, is this Chimney fire finished with the Calstar area? Even if it becomes fully contained in a week will it still be burning and producing smokey skies in four weeks?  What will the condition of the fields be in to set up our scopes and tents on?  Will they be in a burned and black/sooty condition?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:29:19 PM by Peter Natscher »

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:53:03 AM »
Peter, I'm going down on Saturday to pitch in with the cleanup crew. The camp wasn't burned. Far as the Chimney fire goes, I'm just figuring we have a month.