Linked Events

• OI: Fremont Peak SW lot: August 23, 2014

Author Topic: OI: Fremont Peak SW lot, Sat, Aug 23  (Read 3010 times)

thurtado

• Observer
    • View Profile
OI: Fremont Peak SW lot, Sat, Aug 23
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:28 PM »
Any takers? I hate to observe alone!

-Tony Hurtado

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: OI: Fremont Peak SW lot, Sat, Aug 23
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 07:29:46 AM »
The FPOA Star-B-Que is going on Saturday.  This might fill the SW Parking Lot with parked cars.  I doing the Star-B-Que and might set up in the SW Lot if parking behind the gate is full.  I'll drive through the SW Lot by 4pm to see how crowded it is.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 04:04:22 PM »
what /is/ the deal with bringing your own gear up there if you're not a FPOA member, nor have RSVP'd for the star-b-que ?  The SW parking lot is fair game?

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
The SW Parking Lot is open to all who want to do astronomy after dark -- just email the Fremont Peak State Park ranger ahead of time to let the Park know.  The SW Parking Lot has nothing to do with the FPOA - it's Park's land.  The FPOA Star-B-Que attendees will use the SW Parking Lot to park maybe filling it up until after dark.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »
>The SW parking lot is fair game?

Pierce, you can be scary. You're admin here, yes? The info for the Peak is under Observing Sites, and yes it's kept current by the site liaison.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
yeah, I was just curious if it was usable on the night of the Star B Que, which as I found out, it was.

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »
John,

It was good to see you last Saturday observing from the SW Parking Lot.  I had a great time at the FPOA Star-B-Que! Coulter Row was also filled with observers.  Brought back nice memories of past nights during the 90's up there with Coulter full. Will you be using The SW Lot to observe from more often since the Santa Cruz club lost its access to Bonny Doon Airstrip?

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 02:41:35 PM »
Will you be using The SW Lot to observe from more often since the Santa Cruz club lost its access to Bonny Doon Airstrip?

well, its an hour+ drive each way, which puts the crimps on things.   I might try again, and maybe give the Coulter area a try, if others have filed an OI.  I assume you can drive up to coulter row?  it was unclear from the maps whether that gate is left open, I gather its a overflow/group camping area?

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
Coulter Row is a short length of paved road (100ft.?) emanating east (a right-hand turn) from the pay kiosk, as opposed to the left-hand turn you took to go on to the SW Lot around the corner.  Standing at the pay kiosk, turn around and you can see Coulter on a bluff above the road approach.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »
John, Coulter is good in the winter, when the campground is empty. Otherwise you can see too many of those stupid mantle lamps. Does have a wide vista to the South. The SW lot is good thru the year.

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 06:40:36 AM »
I've noticed the last few times at the SW Lot that the Ranger keeps his house's outdoor light off at night.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 01:11:47 PM »
That's not the Ranger's house, Peter. It is the old ranger residence, that was derelict for years. The guy who's there now is a good egg and does leave his lights off at night. He does water stuff for the towers.
The Ranger's house, as you well know, Mr Natscher, is on the other side of the park behind the gate.