Author Topic: Throw Back Moony Montebello Wednesday  (Read 1544 times)

Casey Fukuda

• Observer
    • View Profile
Throw Back Moony Montebello Wednesday
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:02:41 PM »
Last night a few of us headed up to Montebello for some old style Moony Wednesday Montebello Observing.  James T and Wesley C were already in the parking lot when I arrived at 1830 hours.  Shortly there after Marek C and Dan W found their way in and the night was on.  Yes, last night, the great obliterator was over 60% illuminated and we loved it.  The night began with pizza, KF Chicken with sides and assorted sweet snacks.  As darkness fell upon us, the large crater Copurnicas, sitting just off the terminator, was looking especially good with a deep black bottomless shadow in the well of the crater.  Marek pointed out a couple of landing sites for manned missions.  As Wesley, Marek, Dan and James cried out named features on the moon, I realized how little I knew about earth's satellite.  Early in the evening, I pulled out my "moon filter" that I purchased from Sam Weis.  It's a variable, neutral density filter that has two polarized lenses that can be spun to increase or decrease the amout of light that is filtered.  A lengthy discussion about Sam ensued including trips down to the warehouse basement to check on inventory.  Later, Uranus and Neptune showed up in Dan's SCT.  Nice blue-green orbs in the bino-viewer.

An observing night with a second quarter moon in the sky?  What's that all about?  It was a throw back evening of observing in remembrance of those that occurred back in the Montebello Observing heyday.  We couldn't get enough of the night sky on moonless weekends and Wednesday nights, so we got out on moony nights too.  These sessions occurred just after the turn of the millennium circa 2002 or 2003.  I'm sure some of you on TAC remember those days.

Back in the day when I was growing up, if you were different and exhibited abnormal behavior, you were labeled "crazy."  it was an all encompassing word to describe many a behavioral oddity.  Star gazing on moony nights was deemed a bit "crazy" too.   Today, abnormal behavior is compartmentalized into an endless cadre of afflictions, each with their own labels.  Observing on a moony night has a label too.  It's called AODD, Astronomy Observing Deficit Disorder. 

jturley

• Observer
  • Crawling the Terminator through Mountains and Mare
    • View Profile
    • Sky Image Lab
Re: Throw Back Moony Montebello Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:56:02 PM »
Trying to compose my own OR, I just  couldn't do better then Casey's wonderful description of the Mooney Montebello last night.

Under warm clear October skies, and fine steady seeing, three telescopes: a Refractor, an Albert Dob, and a SCT, pointed at the Terminator, watching mountains tops illuminate, as Copernicus crawled across. Each scope calling out features, Marek  (sans camera), a Supreme Visual Lunar Observer, directing us across the Mare, and mountains, and canyons and craters to Hadley Rille.

We  recounted epic the Lunar  Sessions of the 2002-2003 season at Montebello. The magic of it all. And here were were again pointing to that bright thing usually best avoided, making her the Queen of the Night, for that night.

It was just one of the Wednesday nights at Montebello. Gravel crunch and lunacy on a warm October night.

James
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:21:11 PM by jturley »
--
James Turley
Legacy Observer
jturley@gmail.com