Author Topic: Lake Sonoma  (Read 6165 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Lake Sonoma
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
Description: An Army Corps of Engineers facility and park near Cloverdale

Directions:  Take 101 N to Geyserville (about 20min north of Santa Rosa), take the Canyon Rd exit and turn left (go under the free way). Take Canyon rd until it ends at a T with Dry Creek Rd, and go right onto Dry Creek Rd. Follow this until it reaches the Lake Sonoma Recreation Area. This involves a sharp left turn, over the spillway bridge, at the entry to the park. Drive through the lower park area, and up the hill. Continue on this road, past the Skaggs Spring turn off, onto Rockpile Rd. Follow Rockpile Rd, over the bridge across the lake, and go up the hill after the bridge. Look for Grey Pine Flat turnout, on the right, if no one is there, continue on to Lone Rock Flat about 1mi further on (on the right also). Lone Rock is the preferred site, as it has better elevation and horizons, but is sometimes booked by equestrians.

GPS Location:

Elevation: 1150 ft.
Clear Sky Clock: http://cleardarksky.com/c/SonomaCAkey.html
Weather: Lake Sonoma NOAA
Owner: Army Corps of Engineers
Use Policy: Open to the public. Call ranger in advance if arriving after dark at: 707-431-4533. You can use this # to request unlocking of parking lot entrances (e.g. Lone Rock) for observing.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:16:49 AM by John Pierce »

Davids

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Lake Sonoma
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:24:57 AM »
Link to the Lake Sonoma clear sky clock:
http://cleardarksky.com/c/SonomaCAkey.html

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »
yeah, I need to go back and fix all the links on these, as well as google links to the site locations.   

time, keeps on slippin' slippin... into the FU-TURE.   

Davids

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »
I wasn't criticizing,  I don't think the Lake Sonoma page ever had the clock link.  No worries, just thought people would find it useful.

Dwight

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:54:08 PM »
When people go to Lake Sonoma, is it usually just for an evening, or do they camp overnight?  If camping, which are the dark(er) sites?  Has anyone ever stayed at that cabin that is there with the tent sites?

sgottlieb

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 10:52:56 PM »
Generally, amateurs observe/image at the Lone Rock parking lot, which is ~3 miles beyond the bridge on Rockpile Road.  The gate to the lot is left unlocked these days (we used to call the Ranger's office in advance to request this).   There is no cost and plenty of room, but overnight camping is not allowed.  People pack up and leave at all hours of the night, though.

As far as staying overnight, I've observed a few times with several others at the Group (Equestrian) site within Liberty Glen campground, but the cost has been raised significantly to $100/night and I haven't returned. The entire campground was closed for quite awhile due to budget cuts but I assume it's open now.  Haven't heard anything about a cabin.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:42:40 AM by sgottlieb »