Author Topic: User Categories  (Read 3002 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
User Categories
« on: March 12, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
a feature of this forum (and many others) is a user 'title' or 'category' based on post counts.

when I was setting up this forum, I chose some silly ones.  0-49 posts is "Beginner", 50-99 is "Binocular Gazer", 100-249 is "Plossl", 250-499 is "Nagler", and 500+ is "Ethos".    You've probably noted these under everyone's name on their postings....

The more I see these, the lamer they look to me.       If someone wants to suggest a better sequence, I'll all ears.   Each entry should be fairly short so it fits in the user box to the left of a posting...

buynoski

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: User Categories
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:35:25 AM »
The number of posts isn't nearly as important as the contents thereof.  If the category has to be based on the number of posts, then perhaps the best description is the number itself (if that's possible).

Lumpy Darkness

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »
I'd start with the rank of "space cadet" and work up to "Jedi" using some form of Star Wars theme.  But space cadet, for sure.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »
The number of posts isn't nearly as important as the contents thereof.  If the category has to be based on the number of posts, then perhaps the best description is the number itself (if that's possible).

I think this forum software has a whole rating thing where people can 'like' posts, and posters get rated based on popularity or whatever.    I left all that disabled as I find that sort of thing kinda slimey.

buynoski

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »
Then, if possible, kill the categorization as well.  It doesn't add anything, IMO.