Author Topic: Aluminet  (Read 7150 times)

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Aluminet
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:38:29 AM »
What's considered the appropriate density of this material for best use at Calstar and GSSP?
I'm concerned about wind loading with a super-dense weave. 
Is it best to go with the 70% or something less dense?

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminet
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:54:52 AM »
I'd go maximum density and be smart about how you hang it, so it doesn't billow and form a parachute.

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »
Thanks John.

I'm planning to put it over my tent from the North to the South.  I usually orient my tent's long axis East to West since I put my scopes at the Western entry.  The tent's broad side without a door is the southern face, so I'd like to protect it.  I'd like to leave an air gap to allow a breeze for when it's bad at Calstar.

I've had OK experience with using some old bedsheets to just keep the sun off the tent but would like to move up to a better material.

Would I expect more or less wind loading compared with a bedsheet?

Stephen

Dave Ittner

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »
What do you guys use to secure the Aluminet in place? 

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:28:51 PM »
I have used two layers of 70% to cover my van for many years now.
It is easy to clump up and tie cloths line gauge rope to so I leave 4 ropes of about 4-6 feet left over on each corner even when I roll the thing up for storage.  I then tie the ropes to either my wheels (Toyota Sienna has beefy 4 'spoke' sort of wheels so it's easy to put rope in and around and tie it to that.   I also frequently tie the ropes to the rings that are used for towing and are part of undercarriage.    The stuff keeps my van at a sleepable temperature till 10 typically as long as I remember to park the Van pointing north and then move the Aluminet to the east and south side at night so it is in the right place for morning.   For mid-day and eve I move the bulk of it to the west side to offer protection from afternoon sun.

Aluminet ... don't leave home (for a star party) without it.

it is available from assorted gardening places   and I got mine maybe 7 years back at some place that starts with 'poly ...'  but frankly search around, my info may be out of date and as you can see I have forgotten where I got it.

Marko
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

Lumpy Darkness

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »

Either large clips to hold it to whatever you're putting the aluminet onto, or you can order it with grommets.

Peter Natscher

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »

Get yourself a grommet kit (large grommets) from a good hardware store, or OSH, and start pounding them through the Aluminet's edge.  Double fold the aluminet at it's ends where the grommets get placed for a better hold.

Dave Ittner

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:03:04 PM »

Get yourself a grommet kit (large grommets) from a good hardware store, or OSH, and start pounding them through the Aluminet's edge.  Double fold the aluminet at it's ends where the grommets get placed for a better hold.

Good idea.  Thanks.  Harbor Freight sells those kits pretty cheap.  As well as stakes and rope.

Dan Wright

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »
Get the highest density.  The stuff is elastic, and stretches form-fitting around your structure without flapping too much.  Install plastic tarp snap grommets at the corners and edges.  For even more resiliency, use bungees from the grommets to your anchor points.  Even if you mount it like a sail bellying to the wind, it still sheds wind pretty well.   It's designed as shade cloth as opposed to sailcloth. 

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I'll order the fabric soon.  I already have lots of bungee balls from freecycle. 
With the warm weather already starting recently, I feel that this summer is going to be hot.

Jrgose

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
GSSP - Securing sun tarps,
Like to add:  Consider adding a few "bungee cords" to absorb the wind gusts. place bungee at either the corners or in middle sections where wind collects.  Bungees divert a huge load off your tarp tie offs and grommets, avoiding tears.  Wind eventually spills off. We like to add the greatest sun shielding we can raise easily and manage to pack in our camping kit.   We use the inexpensive tarps with one side aluminized, lasting so far for several GSSP outings.  Nothing lasts forever, so plan on wear and tear (eye tears when buying replacements).  CU in 2015!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:43:50 AM by Jrgose »

jolasa

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »
I get my 70% aluminet here:

Fairly cheap, fast shipping.

http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products/aluminetcoolshade70__aluminetshadecloth.html

JonS