Author Topic: Del Valle Reservoir  (Read 5455 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
Del Valle Reservoir
« on: August 16, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »
Description: A lake-side park near Livermore

Directions: From Interstate 580 in Livermore, take South Vasco Road south to its termination at Tesla Road, then turn right (west) on Tesla and proceed about 0.8 mile. Turn left (south) on Mines Road. At an intersection about 3.5 miles on Mines Road, instead of turning left on Mines Road, proceed straight on Del Valle Road up a large hill. After cresting the hill and at about 2 miles beyond the last intersection, there is a gated East Bay Park District trailhead on the right (west) side of the road; this is the entry to the observing site.

Notes: No facilities (last gas/restroom at I-580/Vasco Road). This is public parkland, and we need to treat the area and Park Staff with respect (as they do us). Wild animals and cattle present - use common sense. OK to sleep over in vehicle. Dress warmly.

GPS Location:
Elevation: 1350 ft.
Clear Sky Clock: Del Valle Reservior Clear Sky Clock
Weather: Del Valle Reservior NOAA Weather
Owner: East Bay Regional Park District TAC Site Liaison: Bruce Jensen

Use Policy: By reservation or as a guest of a permitte holder on announced nights. If you are a "guest" with a vehicle, coordinate with the "host" Bruce Jensen or other Del Valle named permittee to gain access through the gate (this can be done ahead of time, when the host arrives, or by walking the short distance, about 0.2 mile, out the gravel road to the observing area where your host should be), or if you are a guest without vehicle or scope, park your vehicle away from the gate, place a "TAC Astronomy Visitor" sign in your car window and walk the short distance out to the observing area. If you do not wish to enter the Park, the area in front of the gate may be used for observing as long as the gate is not blocked.

richozer

• Observer
  • My brain hurts
    • View Profile
Re: Del Valle Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »
It's open enrollement for the Del Valle site in Livermore.  Contact me at rozer@pacbell.net if you are interested in an observing site close to the Del Valle reservoir.  Annual permit fee is $25.
Rich Ozer of the Ozer clan.

MattT

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:22:03 AM »
Does anybody use this site anymore? I've been curious about it since I moved to Walnut Creek, but figured for my first visit I'd wait until I could tag along with somebody who was familiar with it. But I haven't seen an OI for Del Valle in a long, long time.
-----
Matt Tarlach
Walnut Creek

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »
Matt, I asked The Animal about Del Valle for you. Thanks for the reminder to reply! You need to join the Tri-Valley club, that gets you access to the site. In fact, look above on this thread and there's a note from Rozerman about signing up, thru him in fact.
rozer@pacbell.net
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

sgottlieb

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:57:02 PM »
Oops, I may have misled you.  The Tri-valley club's site is not Del Valle reservoir (which is fairly close to Livermore), but a darker, more remote site along winding Mines Road on the back side of Mt Hamilton.

-- Steve (Animal)

MattT

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 04:58:42 PM »
Thanks. I saw the earlier post about getting added on the permit but am wondering if anyone active here still uses the site?

MT
-----
Matt Tarlach
Walnut Creek

richozer

• Observer
  • My brain hurts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 09:40:46 PM »
From the horses mouth... Del Valle is jointly used by TAC (remember that shady outfit??) and the Tri Valley Club.  TAC has a separate insurance and fee policy from Tri Valley; but we share the same permit.  TVS can allow 10 people on their part of the permit by prior arrangement and it's currently filled.  There is room on the TAC side.  I emailed Matt the details today.  Typically, the fee for TACos is $25 +/- $4.  I've been allowing new people free access for the remainder of the year.

Richard
Rich Ozer of the Ozer clan.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 10:36:28 PM »

MattT

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:21:06 AM »
Thanks Rich! I hope to check the site out soon.
MT
-----
Matt Tarlach
Walnut Creek