Author Topic: For Sale: late 1990s Celestron C8 "Celestar"  (Read 7148 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
For Sale: late 1990s Celestron C8 "Celestar"
« on: January 03, 2015, 09:57:34 PM »
I haven't used my C8 Celestar in years, and its just taking up space.    This was an economy model of the classic C8, fork mount on a simple 'wedgepod', with a basic clock drive run by a 9V battery.   The OTA is the same quality as the standard made-in-USA black-tube C8's, with their Starbright multi-coatings and so forth.   Its in optically and mechanically fine condition.    Its been used a fair amount, the stick-on polar elevation scale came off, the legs probably have some scuff marks.   Its stored in its original foam-lined shipping carton, the outside of the box is a bit beatup.

Here's a review of a Celestar 8, http://www.company7.com/celestron/products/sch4.html

It has a 6x30 finder scope, 1-1/4 star diagonal, and a 25mm SMA eyepiece.   Its got a telrad base on it now, but I'm keeping the telrad.

make an offer.  I'm in Santa Cruz and can deliver it to the general area, or maybe at a star party somewhere?   I'm in no rush and doubt this will go fast.

gwest77

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: For Sale: late 1990s Celestron C8 "Celestar"
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »
Hello John,
  do you still have this scope ?

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »
I do...

gwest77

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:47:35 AM »
 John,
   Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I also have an older C8, late 90's. It's has the wedge pod and legs most likely the same as yours. Would you be interested in selling the OTA. Not sure if I know what you mean by telrad base, I thought those were on finder scopes. Wish I had seen your ad sooner because I just got a C8 from a guy in MI but it would be nice to have another in case something went wrong with one. I'll just come out and ask what you want for it and can it be shipped to me ?  I'm in GA. so I'd say shipping and insurance would have to be figured in. I've owned a Meade ETX 105 for years but always wanted something a little bigger to start trying my hand at astrophotogrphy. I'm already pretty darn good using the scopes for wildlife pics. I've got some of the moon with the Meade but that's it. Hope we can work something out.
                                                   Greg

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:52:32 AM »
i don't want to ship it.

the C8 fork mount is rather unsuitable for astrophotography, you can't get a accurate polar alignment with that wedgepod, and the clock drive has a fairly large amount of periodic error.   also doing astrophotography with an f/10 SCT and its 2030mm focal length comes under the heading of 'highly advanced', its much easier to start with a shorter f/ratio scope, like an f/6 APO refractor with a 500mm focal length

yes, a telrad is a finder device, the base I'm talking about is the plastic thing attached to the scope with double-stick tape that the telrad fits onto.

gwest77

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 03:25:26 PM »
 Ok,
  Thanks John. Just thought I'd try. I plan on getting a focal reducer and put on the scope that will bring the f/ratio way down. I read up on a girls remarks at cloudynights.com about how she was able to do this. All I can do is try. That's how we learn. looked at your profile and we are about the same age and I know you most likely are very knowledgeable in this field. I haven't tried any moon pics yet with the C8, it's been dang cold around here. The moon pics are easy for just about anyone I guess. I'm just interested in doing more. Would you happen to know where I can get my hands on a hand controller for my scope ? The man at handsonoptics.com  (Gary) told me he had one, two weeks ago but I haven't heard back from him. Can i ask one more question then I won't bug you ? What is a good go between eye piece that would be between a 6.7mm and a 26mm eyepiece I could use with a barlow 2X piece ?

Greg

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »
my current eyepiece set are all Explore Scientific, I'm using these in a 10" f/4.5 Coulter dobson, a 12" f/5(?) Orion dobson, and a f/11 achromat 80mm refractor, they work well in all these scopes.

• 24mm 68 deg. wide
  • 14mm 82 deg. wide
  • 8.8mm 82 deg. wide
  • 6.7mm 82 deg wide
  • 4.8mm 82 deg. wide

I haven't used a barlow in years.   I've not tried these eyepieces on the SCT as I've not used it since before I got them.    the 24/68 is quite similar to a 24mm panoptic.  the others are poor man's naglers.   these are all 1.25" eyepieces.

gwest77

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 05:55:43 PM »
 John,
   Thank you. I'll look over all the info you sent me.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 10:10:02 PM »
I haven't used my C8 Celestar in years, and its just taking up space.   ...

make an offer.  I'm in Santa Cruz and can deliver it to the general area, or maybe at a star party somewhere?   I'm in no rush and doubt this will go fast.

I had this at the SJAA swap meet, and while a few people looked it over, no one bought it at $700, oops, 650, oops, 600.

do I hear $550 ?    I can't find the original semi-crappy Celestron 25mm SMA eyepiece, so it has a good Orion Sirius 25mm plossl now.  I set the scope up in my driveway a few nights ago to make sure it still works, and sure 'nuff, its nice and crisp optically, and the clock drive still tracks well (once I replaced the battery and achieved some semblence of polar alignment).

I'll even consider delivering it, from the peninsula to monterey.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »
fyi, I sold this scope a few months back back to a fellow SCAC member to use as a grab-n-go SCT.