Author Topic: Popular Well Recognized Lists Of Easily Viewed Objects  (Read 8213 times)

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
Popular Well Recognized Lists Of Easily Viewed Objects
« on: October 25, 2014, 01:26:32 AM »
This is a post that is meant to supply up and coming beginning observers common well recognized lists of objects.  This thread is not intended to be a place for obscure and advanced lists of which there are quite a number so please only post here lists that are felt to be accepted as quite well known lists with objects mostly suited for 8" or maybe just a little bit larger telescopes.

Since most all of the objects in these lists are fairly bright, it is worth mention that an excellent online reference for NGC/IC catalog objects which will contain most of the key objects in the sky can be found at The NGC/IC project.   For each NGC object a wealth of technical details as well as a picture and one or more expert observations, mostly by Steve Gottlieb of our group, can be found.   Don't pass up THIS link

http://www.ngcicproject.org/

The Astronomical League, AL,  is where this thread will often give links as they have a large number of 'Observing Clubs'.  For those who may enjoy precise observing goals with recognition, the Astronomical League will issue a certificate and a pin to those who submit observational lists to the club to get the pin and certificate.    If you are interested, you need to be in touch with TAC-AL which is our contact point for Astronomical League submission of observations for AL clubs.  Our very own 'Joe-Bob' is the contact point, contact me if you don't know Joe-Bob.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:17:54 AM by Marko »
Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
Messier List
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:31:15 AM »
The Messier Catalog is likely to be considered a must-know list that contains just over a hundred bright objects many of which are quite spectacular.   This list appears in a huge number of places but the link below is organized in seasons because the messier numbers themselves do not hint at what point of the year a given object will be easily viewed.

From the Astronomical League list:   http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/messier/messlist.html

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:13:48 AM by Marko »

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
The Herschel 400 List
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 01:46:35 AM »
Somewhere between the Messier level lists and the obscure object list's (of which there are many) lies a popular list of what was felt to be the 400 brightest 'must see' objects in the NGC catalog.   Out of the almost 8000 objects in the NGC catalog this list of 400 has quite a few grand 'almost Messier' objects but mostly consists of dimmer and smaller objects from our place on Earth.

Again, the Astronomical League, AL,  is where I will point you for this list as they have a 'club' and issue a certificate to those who submit observational lists to the club to get the pin and cirtificate.

The Herschel 400 List:   http://www.astroleague.org/files/obsclubs/H400/h400lstn.pdf

There is also an Astronomical League Herschel 400 List II club.  The list II objects are tending to require large sized scopes to view and as such it is not considered a starter list but it is the next step after the Herschel 400 list and as such should be mentioned in this post.   I have yet to find more than one list that agrees with any other of the lists and have a detailed write-up on the differences of up to 25 or so objects.   We do have a generous TACo that does great observing guides, Alvin Huey, who has made a guide that has a very nice index near it's start that can be found here:    http://www.faintfuzzies.com/Files/Herschel%20400-II%20v1.pdf  That site has loads of great guides.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:32:20 PM by Marko »

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
The TAC Eye Candy List
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 01:52:19 AM »
This list is not generally considered a globally recognized list like the others being presented BUT because this is in fact THE TAC site, we are allowed to mention this fine list of what some legacy TACo members felt was a wonderful list for early stage astro-folk to seek out.   I would agree that it's a fine list for 8" or larger scopes that does not include objects from the Messier Catalog.

Here is a description from one of the co-authors, DDK:    The TAC Eye Candy List is a compilation between the Saguaro and RASC lists, all objects included, duplications taken out. We added the Steve Caron 100 list, cool set of post-Messier DSO's put together by a brilliant kid who used to come out with us. Crilly, Jardine, Smith and I added some favorites we couldn't leave out. So we have a list of the 200 or so prettiest deepsky objects past the Messiers.

Please see the attached list in text form or visit this link (valid as of this post):  http://old.observers.org/observing/eyecandy/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:34:40 PM by Marko »

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
The Caldwell List
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:58:53 AM »
I post this list because it is a globally known list of objects that are well known to astronomers from around the world.   The Caldwell list has the 'traditional' 109 count of objects that were felt to be wonderful objects by Sir Patrick Moore and others that compiled this list.  This list does not include objects from the Messier Catalog.

I suggest you go after the other 100 count lists in this section of posts prior to the Caldwell list because there are many objects on this list that are faint to near impossible without a scope of 18" or larger and a couple that are just flat out impossible without a 30 inch scope.

This list, unlike the other lists shown in this post, includes spectacular objects that are only visible from southern latitudes but this will be apparent from the declination.  The link presented here is yet again from the Astronomical League again where they have a club and a pin to present with a certificate if you submit 70 or even all the objects for review.

The Caldwell List:   http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/caldwell/cldwlist.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:13:51 PM by Marko »

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
The Royal Astronomical Society Finest NGC Objects
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 02:08:54 AM »
The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, RASC, has it's own list of 110 objects they compiled from the NGC list and felt were the finest NGC objects.    If you have not already noticed, MANY list have this 109 or 110 object count and that is simply a traditional number that comes from the number of objects in the Messier Catalog. This list does not include objects from the Messier Catalog but will partially overlap other 'post Messier' lists posted on this board.

A copy of the list in a well known doc format is supplied on this post.

RASC Finest NGC Objects List Overview:   http://www.rasc.ca/observing/finest-ngc-observing-certificate
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:16:26 PM by Marko »

Marko

• Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
    • Marko's Astronomy Site
The Saguaro Astronomy Club Best NGC Objects List
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 01:14:49 PM »
The Saguaro Astronomy Club publishes a list of 110 of what they consider the best objects to view in the NGC catalog.
This list does not include objects in the Messier Catalog so it can be considered an extension of post-Messier objects and as such contains objects that very well can be thought of as Messier class objects.   

http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/BEST-OBJECTS-IN-THE-NEW-GENERAL-CATALOG.htm

There will be quite a bit of overlap between this list, the TAC Eye Candy list, and the RASC list as well as the Herschel 400 list.

Note also that a very wide selection of lists are posted on this site for reference at http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/Things-to-view.htm but many of these lists are well beyond a beginner stage.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:25:54 PM by Marko »

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Popular Well Recognized Lists Of Easily Viewed Objects
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 03:38:57 PM »
Marko went -
"There will be quite a bit of overlap between this list (Saguaro), the TAC Eye Candy list, and the RASC list as well as the Herschel 400 list."

Good reason for that. We put together the TAC Eye Candy List as a compilation between the Saguaro and RASC lists, all included, duplications taken out. We added the Steve Caron 100 list, cool set of post-Messier DSO's put together by a brilliant kid who used to come out with us. Crilly, Jardine, Smith and I added some favorites we couldn't leave out. Every one of these objects is pretty in a 6 or 8 inch scope.

http://old.observers.org/observing/eyecandy/
is the thankfully durable link.
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

Koukarine

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »
What's the Epoch for the RA/DEC in the TAC Eye Candy list?
Just converted it to the DSO Planner app format and everything looks shifted a bit on the Star Chart.

By the way, DSO Planner app have the Herschel 400, all of the SAC (10,342), as well as all objects from NGC/IC Project, along with the images and Steve's notes natively integrated (so you can use them right in the night planner). I can help with importing any other lists into DSO Planner format.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:49:21 PM by Koukarine »

-Alex

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 11:07:06 PM »
Koukarine asked, "What's the Epoch for the RA/DEC in the TAC Eye Candy list?"
J2000.0, as you might expect. You made me check and the numbers do match authoritative sources, incl the NGC/IC project numbers.

Koukarine

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • DobMod
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 03:47:24 PM »
I knew it must be the J2000, thank you for the verification.
I guess, that's just the slight source databases difference. Plus, maybe, minor rounding errors.
DSO Planner is using the most recent NGCICproject.org data, and it's definitely differs from the Candy List a bit.

Simple check  for R.A. of NGC 404 revealed that:
Candy List: 01h 09.5m (01h 09m 30s)
NGCIC:      01h 09m 26.9s (01 09.4)

Surely - not that crucial for visual hunting. I've been just confused to see randomly looking "jitter" on the screen.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:07:19 AM by Koukarine »

-Alex

sgottlieb

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »
How come there's no love for my DeepMap 600 list  ;-)

http://www.telescope.com/Orion-DeepMap-600-Folding-Star-Chart/p/4150.uts

or you can just download the list in .xls format at www.astronomy-mall.com/Adventures.In.Deep.Space/catalogs.htm

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »
Oh boy, the Astro Animal is right, no list of lists is any good without including Steve Gottlieb's Deepmap. Along with those links that Steve wrote down, Orion Telescope still sells the cool actual map with the list on the back.

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 08:28:08 PM »
And for an overview here, there's a vital distinction between lists such as Deepmap, the Saguaro, RASC and TAC Eye Candy lists, and lists like the Herschel 400 and Caldwell. Those first 4 are selected for what objects look like in the eyepiece. The H-400 is an armchair list made up from the numbers by a set of nice people in St Augustine, FL. The Caldwells are just plain arbitrary.

Like TAC, right? We are the hardcore hilltop observers. Not armchair, not us.