Author Topic: 2017 Total Eclipse  (Read 5073 times)

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
2017 Total Eclipse
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:51:19 AM »
so has anyone started making plans for the August 2017 total eclipse?    I've been thinking the area around (just north  and/or east of) John Day, Oregon would be a great place to view it from.  there's both national monument and BLM lands around there.

what would be REALLY cool would be organizing a GSSP like 2-4 night star party centered around the eclipse on a ranch somewhere on the centerline, but I don't have the connections to make that happen.

eclipse map:
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

DDK

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Total Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
I've been fantasizing for years about heading to Wyoming for this, somewhere near Jackson Hole. Won't even have to book a berth on a ship somewhere in mid-ocean!
TAC - astro anarchy at work <*>

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »
another possible area is Crane Creek Reservoir, in SW Idaho... this is a state fish-n-game place, and I think dry camping is allowed about anywhere.   the centerline of the totality zone is just south of the lake.

richozer

• Observer
  • My brain hurts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:06:31 PM »
Idaho is my plan for now.  Certainly subject to change.  Who, knows, by 2017 Idaho may have seceeded from the union.
Rich Ozer of the Ozer clan.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 01:30:36 PM »
Lake Simtustus, which is really just a fattened stretch of the Deschutes River, just northeast of Madras OR bisects the eclipse centerline...  there's a bunch of campgrounds on the lake within a mile or so of the centerline, oriented towards boating activities.

A few miles north of the eclipse centerline in the same area is an Indian themed resort/spa, the Kah-Nee-Ta Resort and Spa.

Lime Oregon is an abandoned limestone plant just west of the oregon-idaho border off I-84, its right ON the center line.   

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
oooh.   Lands Inn B&B and 'airport'  (its a fly-in B&B) near John Day, OR is within 1 mile of the dead centerline...    this needs to be investigated!

http://goo.gl/maps/tsn39

360 pano of the meadow and airport...

http://www.360cities.net/image/lands-inn-fly-in-bed-breakfast-and-airport-kimberly-or#0.00,0.00,70.0

edit: hahaha, called them... they've already had inquiries about the eclipse and are going to organize something, probably charge $125/head or something including a bbq and whatever, but they can only handle about 75 people.  I asked to be put on their mail list for this event so when they solidify their plans I'll find out.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:25:08 PM by John Pierce »

mccarthymark

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • observing blog
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:31:45 PM »
The Oregon Star Party is usually end of August.  Do they accept out of staters?

This will be part of our family's epic RV vacation road trip -- one the kids will remember for the rest of their lives.  Hoping to hit many of the national parks around there while we're at it, maybe a 2 week trip.
Mark

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 03:57:54 PM »
where exactly is the oregon star party located?   answers own question:  its INSIDE the totality band, but closer to the edge than the center. about 24 miles straight line to the north to the center of totality.   hmmmmmmm.

meanwhile...     this part the Malheur National Forest is smack in the middle of the eclipse centerline (it crosses that grey 'gravel pit')   http://goo.gl/maps/RppmO

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:05:49 PM by John Pierce »

mpacker

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Birding Diving Astronomy
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 02:07:58 AM »
I like the of Wyoming - 20 seconds more eclipse! Nice area.
Mag -26.74
Packer

Davids

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
I'll be going to Idaho.  My home town is Idaho Falls and there plenty of options along the center line without having to do any camping and weather is usually pretty clear that time of year.

Cheers,

Dave

richozer

• Observer
  • My brain hurts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:04 PM »
Yep... I think Idaho Falls is the place to see it.
Rich Ozer of the Ozer clan.

John Pierce

• WebHack
  • Administrator
  • Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »

Davids

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 02:03:07 PM »
How did you get that URL for Google maps.  I was looking for parking lots, parks, schools or churches near the centerline and found what looks to be a prime spot less than a mile from centerline in Terreton Id.  It's just north of Idaho Falls off I15.  There are 2 options, West Jefferson High School and an LDS church right across the street from the school.  Totality looks like it would be almost 2:18 at those locations.

I'll post a link if you can tell me how you got that short link.

Cheers,

Dave

Davids

• Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
Never mind I found it.

Here is the URL to Terreton Id.  http://goo.gl/LnXPXN