Author Topic: Montebello Sunday evening (last night)  (Read 1701 times)

Casey Fukuda

• Observer
    • View Profile
Montebello Sunday evening (last night)
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
There were 4 Dobs for an observing only evening.  Even Marek brought his 10" dob.  The sun sets at 6:30 these days, so it was pretty dark and clear by 7:30.  Turley brought a bucket of KFC and I stopped at Costco and picked up a couple of pizzas.  Dan, rounded the evenings food with chocolate chip cookies.  James was accompanied by two friends, so we had enough mouths to scarf up most of the food.  James' friends, Dave and Lynn, migrated over to my dob and we spent the evening looking at bright objects.  Before the end of the night, I had our guests tracking down objects on my scope.  Even my green laser made an appearance.  Marek packed up at 9:15 because he had to work early today.  By 10:30 Jeff, James and guests, Dan, Philip and yours truly were caravanning out the gate.  Good thing.  At about the time Marek was packed up, fog was seeping over the south west gap.  I was the last out of the lot.  I looked up and there were no stars, where before we had a pretty good night (albeit a little dewy).   Food, friends, comradery, outreach, bright objects and home at a decent hour, it doesn't get much better than that.

BTW: couldn't see the comet near Mars.

ahighe

• Observer
    • View Profile
Re: Montebello Sunday evening (last night) and brief Mariposa OR
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
Nice OR, Casey.

George Feliz and I observed the past two nights outside of Mariposa. I also got out a couple of nights early in the week.

Sky was cloudless all night.. No wind, no dew, no bugs. Temps got down to the mid-50's, but we were comfortable.

I was using my 24" f/3.3 with 10mm Ethos. George had his 13" f/4.5 with I think an 8.8mm ES.

The nearby field stars were visible in the main eyepiece around 7PM. By 7:10PM, I was picking up a faint haze against the background sky that was still fairly bright. The sky darkened quickly.  By 7:20PM the comet was visible with direct vision, showing a brighter central condensation and an indistinct halo. I thought I could detect asymmetry. It was also visible in the 13" with averted vision. It should have been visible in a 10" as well, especially by 7:30PM.

We also took a look at comet Jacques. Its very dim, even in the 24". But its position changed between Saturday and Sunday nights.

Seeing and transparency were very good. During each of the two nights, I bagged 40+ new galaxies with UCG, IC, MCG designations before we called it a night at 11:30PM. We were in bed by midnight. For those with larger scopes, one of the highlights was UGC 1281 in Triangulum. Its about mag 12.9, but with dimensions of 0.65' x 5.8', its surface brightness is fairly low. Nevertheless, the long thin profile showed up nicely with averted vision. As a bonus, CGCG 503-27 is a bright little ball less than 1' SE and is visible with direct vision. I also picked up a couple of small galaxies in the same f.o.v. with 2MASX designations.

Albert
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:32:47 PM by ahighe »

sraney

• Observer
    • View Profile
When is the next Montebello' Meet up?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 09:22:04 PM »
When is the next Montebello' Meet up, assuming there is a break in the rain? 
- Sraney
-----------------------------------------
1. break nothing but silence
2. take nothing but pictures
3. leave nothing but footprints
----------------------------------------

smigol

• Observer
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Montebello Sunday evening (last night)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »
Usually people start going to Montebello when the moon rises after 2 am and through until when the moon sets at 8-9 pm.  Weather permitting, that would be from Nov 16 to Nov 26 or so.  If the weather is good, expect to see some chatter during that period.